Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
FM MODULATOR INSTALL.....WHAT A MESS!!
A month ago I bought an FM modulator recommended by Tricky in one of his previous posts. Although the modulator itself is relatively small, the antenna leads, filters, fuses etc gave me precious little room to install the darn thing. It's not going to fit in there!

[Image: mess01.bmp.jpg] [Image: MESS05.bmp.jpg]

I have the stock Panasonic radio with the CB accessory. All those wires and cords make it darn near impossible to get the side pocket in as it is. So I opted to sacrifice the storage tray in the faux tank.
Since I'm running a single antenna, I have an antenna splitter already installed so it was simple enough to plug the modulator in series. The kit came with a really limp toggle switch that would have required drilling another hole and having it exposed to the elements. I went through my boxes of parts and found a used radio tuner switch. It mounts right next to all my other handlebar switches and is relatively water tight. I backed out the pins for the tuner and am using the mute button for my on/off power switch for the modulator.

[Image: MESS04.bmp.jpg] [Image: MESS02.bmp.jpg]
Yes, I know the tie strap looks tacky. Tomorrow I'm extending the mounting bracket. The black strap will hit the garbage.

The kit does not supply the 1/8 stereo jack for your Ipod or Nano. Unfortunately, everything in the kit has the huge, outdated RCA jacks. But I'm old, so guess what I found in my box of computer parts? An adaptor cable with four feet of cord. Must be living right. It was long enough to reach to the left rear trunk pocket, so I drilled a hole, installed a rubber wire chase, and tied it off just like a lamp cord.

[Image: MESS03.bmp.jpg]

All the components will fit in the center tray, including the filters. I notched out the tray and "forced" all the crap to one side and made a partition out of an old aftermarket saddlebag that was destroyed. Still leaves enough room for my wallet, comb, camera, fuses, etc. All that's left to do is tidy it up. The partition isn't hard mounted yet. I expect to be able to move it another 1/2 inch or so to the left once I get the rats nest squared away.

[Image: MESS07.bmp.jpg]

I ran the cord back to the rear trunk so the wife can fiddle with the Ipod while I'm driving. But with the handlebar switch......well, we all know who has the final say.....okay, okay. She does. But a guy can dream.

One more note: While I had the left pocket out, and some beat up plastic still floating around, I modified the pocket depth. Sure makes it easy to get that thing back in the hole.

[Image: MESS06.bmp.jpg]
#1 06-01-2010, 08:50 PM,
Is this the Scosche FMMOD02 ?

If it is, I thought it had a 1/8" audio in jack and a rocker switch in a little black box?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scosche.com/ecom/images/product/417.12969.600x400.FMMOD02.jpg">http://www.scosche.com/ecom/images/prod ... MMOD02.jpg</a><!-- m -->
#2 06-01-2010, 09:08 PM,
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-FM100A-Modulator-Isolation-Transformer/dp/B0001KO7UI/ref=pd_cp_e_2">http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-FM100A-M ... =pd_cp_e_2</a><!-- m -->
#3 06-01-2010, 09:25 PM,
Good post Mike! The only bad thing is it's got me rethinking about whether or not I'm gonna install one as I've got even less room that you do due to the Travel Computer occupying alot of the room that you used in your installation....
1985 Limited Edition
#4 06-01-2010, 09:53 PM,
roscoepc Wrote:Good post Mike! The only bad thing is it's got me rethinking about whether or not I'm gonna install one as I've got even less room that you do due to the Travel Computer occupying alot of the room that you used in your installation....

I was thinking about mounting it in the trailer, but I only had four feet of cord. I'm sure there are other places to mount them. You could probably mount everything in a box and strap it to the inside of your fairing. If you converted to an external alternator, you could put it where the regulator is. I thought about bolting it to the old ladies helmet, but that's where we keep the pup tent.
#5 06-01-2010, 10:06 PM,
Quote:If you converted to an external alternator, you could put it where the regulator is.

Naw,, wouldn't work.. The fuelie regulator is in a different place than the carb'd version. Besides... If my charging system last's a couple more years I'm thinking of applying for membership in the Freeholers Club!!!! :mrgreen:
1985 Limited Edition
#6 06-01-2010, 10:21 PM,
I don't think Walter's t shirt would fit you........
FREEHOLIES! Geez, Ros!
#7 06-02-2010, 06:40 AM,
bought one too and after looking at all the wiring required and the space problems(i had a cb) decided that the cassette adapter was the best option for me

easily hooks to my itouch and sound is excellent

anybody that needs an fm modulator,1st $20 and its yours
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 06-02-2010, 07:26 AM,
glhonda,

How is the sound quality with your Fm-modulator?
#9 06-02-2010, 08:16 AM,
The sound quality is more than acceptable. It's only going to be as good as the speakers ( external or headset). I've noticed no loss in quality.
I did, however, re-think my partition idea. I used the curved section of that old saddlebag and fabricated a cover for the modulator and wiring.
Gained more room than I anticipated, and it doesn't look nearly as messy.

[Image: MESS08.bmp.jpg]
#10 06-05-2010, 07:06 PM,
Nice job Mike, that looks great.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#11 06-06-2010, 04:00 AM,
neoracer Wrote:bought one too and after looking at all the wiring required and the space problems(i had a cb) decided that the cassette adapter was the best option for me

easily hooks to my itouch and sound is excellent

anybody that needs an fm modulator,1st $20 and its yours

Darn, just missed your offer by a few days Earl. I would gladly bought your unit rather than the one I got on Ebay.

Mike, excellent how to, thanks.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#12 06-21-2010, 01:11 PM,
Hi,
I have been trying to do the same thing on my 1984 Aspencade, my problem is I cant find the antenna connector, my parts layout looks the same as yours, I know what I am looking for, at least I assume the connector is the same as in your photo, but looking in the left pocked and under the tank storage tray, I cant even see anything that looks like coax or the connector.
Any ideas.
I was hoping not to have to strip the bike. I tried a while back and gave up, but your article gave me new hope...lol

Never Ride Faster Than Your Angle Can Fly
Stan & Karen 84 Aspy :x :oops: with NO tunes!!!
#13 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM,
the antenna connector can be found underneath the tank,in the area of the cruise control or maybe just to the left of the tooltray, just follow the antenna line from the rear towards the front,it is covered up by a rubber boot
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#14 06-21-2010, 02:36 PM,
I have an FM modulator on my bike and the sound quality is good.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#15 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FM Modulator SIR tricky 12 3,546 11-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Guest
  THE FM Modulator really works! Skymajic 2 1,208 06-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Guest