Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Newbie from NJ, USA saying HI!
Welcome from western Pa.

If you think that bike is fun to work on, wait until you get to ride it. I waste more time just riding around in circles!!
:mrgreen:
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#16 06-17-2010, 05:03 AM,
I really want to ride it! Thanks for the vote of confidence and moral BOOST!

It's just turning out to be MUCH more of a project than I initially thought. I was thinking this bike only had 12000 miles on it! it would be a good purchase! I thought it might need only minor mechanical repairs but ALAS my thoughts have been proven wrong. Sitting for 15 years is MUCH worse than high miles in my opinion now that I'm getting into the rebuild.

ALL the brake needed rebuilding and Clutch slave cyl as well.

Carbs Also were a mess as well as Gas tank. I guess this just sat for 15 years with a half a tank of gas!!! Huge MESS. Lots of ^Smile^ ^Smile^ ^Smile^ to Randakk's!! Their kit was perfect and Booklet easy to follow and Delivery FAST FAST FAST...

Electric was a DISASTER! Lots of fried wires because of previous owners outrageous wiring!
LUCKY Stator is testing GOOD but Rectifier is testing BAD.

I ordered the Rectifier from OldBikeBarn BUT They SENT THE WRONG PART! UGH...Also another complaint about OldBikeBarn I Ordered the Timing Belts from them as well and they didn't send the 2 I ordered they only sent me 1....I mean COME ON! Two mistakes in one order what the heck...SO this is really delaying my repairs since it is taking forever for them to come "good" on fixing my screwed up order.

Tires, I went for are on Back order....UGH...another huge delay because this bike actually has the ORIGINAL tires from 1986 on it! I don't think I even want to drive 1 Block on tires that old.

Compressor system was full of water. I guess the dryer is bad and the shocks need replacement or rebuild.

Good News is after all this so far I did start the bike and it ran...Not great but ran. I think I need to Sync the carb. and see how it runs after that. I still have timing belts to do so I'm leery of running it for long periods of time. I still have not ridden it at all because of Brakes and Tires...(and timing belts as well).

Body is OK, a few stress cracks here and there but other than that pretty clean body work. I'm going to wait until the winter to tackle anything body related. I want to pull everything (even fairing) and re-paint a custom color....

SO, that's how the project goes after about 2 weeks of work...
#17 06-17-2010, 05:37 AM,
Hello from north Georgia :YMHUG:

Good luck on the project, sounds like a lot of work, but from the looks of things you can handle it just fine.
Remember, No matter where you go...There you are!

Here is where I have ridden my 1984 GL1200I
I completed the lower 48 states in August 2009, riding the whole way with my Dad

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#18 06-17-2010, 06:55 AM,
After all that work at least you will be able to ride knowing everything is done and you should have a lot of trouble free riding ahead of you.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#19 06-17-2010, 03:24 PM,
BlueWing, OH how I hope so...
I just finished rebuilding all three calipers! Every single one was Seized. The master cylinders seem OK...I'm going to hold off rebuilding them right now.

I'm going to move on to finishing electrical stuff and if the Shocks show up do those.

I'm going to do timing belts next weekend when I have my Carb Synchronizer So I can do all those tune up things as well as the belts/Valves in one big sweep.

Then I'll register it and take it for a spin! If it runs OK I'm going to have a Pro take a look at my work as well as see if they can find anything else I might of missed.

SO...anyone able to give me a hint on how the HECK do you remove the Compressor to clean out the dryer? I've read a few threads and all I get out of it it's a real pain in the A##....???

Thanks!
#20 06-17-2010, 07:38 PM,
Quote:SO...anyone able to give me a hint on how the HECK do you remove the Compressor to clean out the dryer? I've read a few threads and all I get out of it it's a real pain in the A##....???

When I did mine I pretty much just followed what was in the manual and finally got her done. When I removed mine the purpose was twofold: Check the dessicant and also, find out why it was not building up any pressure. The dessicant wasn't a big deal. Just spread it on a paper towel and pop it in the microwave. As far as why the compressor wouldn't build pressure, thanks to Catman, that wasn't a big deal either!! It seems there's a foam filter in the inlet line and over time, it will degrade and migrate to the reed valves in the compressor head preventing them from making a good seal and working correctly. I pulled the head, carefully removed the crap and put it back together. I also cut a new foam filter from a beer coolie I had, reinstalled everything and she's worked good ever since!! 8)

One more thing.... Small sized hands work better than big hands!!!! :mrgreen:
1985 Limited Edition
#21 06-17-2010, 10:24 PM,
These folks here have compiled a list of common, maintenance parts, which can be puchased through the auto part stores.
I have looked for that thread but can't locate it.
Can one of the admins. locate it and post it here so KnoxSwift has a second source?

Thanks in advance.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#22 06-18-2010, 02:19 PM,
Look here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=162">http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=162</a><!-- m -->
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#23 06-18-2010, 03:07 PM,
Thanks GUYS!
Just finished fixing that Compressor...HOLY COW I don't want to have to take that out again.

That parts list will be very helpful!
#24 06-18-2010, 03:22 PM,
Swift......how is it coming along? Have ya gotten her on the road yet?
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#25 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM,
On the road! Commuted to work twice and tooled around town, about 500 miles so far. I'm still tweaking the Carbs but other than that all my repair work is paying off 100%!
#26 06-30-2010, 04:17 PM,
Well it took me forever but here is a picture of the "Near" completed rebuild. I really only have left some body work to fix and then a Re-Paint job. But money is tight right now so I've been riding it like I stole it and enjoying every minute....

Attached Files
.jpg   39335_1445054820400_1654028704_1059239_6996385_n.jpg (Size: 92.66 KB / Downloads: 228)
#27 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM,
Another GL1200 brought back from the brink of a parts bike and putting a smile on the face of yet another happy rider.
Thanks are due to KnoxSwift for not giving up, and to the helpful hints and support of this site.

Congrats!
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#28 08-17-2010, 09:14 AM,
Thanks....

and I agree this site is AWESOME!
:YMHUG: ^Smile^
#29 08-17-2010, 09:53 AM,