Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ehaust Wrap? Has anyone tried?
Hey All,

Well the 86 restoration is coming along. Now to track down an exhaust leak. I think it is simply there seems to be some packing that has rotted away. I ordered packing and new studs and gaskets so while waiting for that to be delivered I was thinking about something. This exhaust runs REALLY HOT... Which I "read" is fairly normal. So, I was wondering while I have the exhaust off has anyone tired exhaust wrap on the header pipes? It would keep things alot cooler?

Thanks!
#1 06-19-2010, 06:23 AM,
I don't know. But I think that would have to be ugly as sin. Am I wrong?
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#2 06-19-2010, 07:08 AM,
No not really because you can re-mount the chrome covers after you wrap the exhaust, No? THE heavy steal RUST is uglier I think? I'm not sure if the wrap and chrome covers would fit, just seeing if anyone has tried this? Maybe I can be the first? Well after timing belts. That's what I'm off to start on today.
#3 06-19-2010, 07:33 AM,
KnoxSwift Wrote:Hey All,

Well the 86 restoration is coming along. Now to track down an exhaust leak. I think it is simply there seems to be some packing that has rotted away. I ordered packing and new studs and gaskets so while waiting for that to be delivered I was thinking about something. This exhaust runs REALLY HOT... Which I "read" is fairly normal. So, I was wondering while I have the exhaust off has anyone tired exhaust wrap on the header pipes? It would keep things alot cooler?

Thanks!

No I have not tried it.
Exhaust wrap insulation is used to insulate nearby components (or legs and feet) from radiated heat from exhaust piping. So yes it will keep stuff outside the exhaust system a lot cooler.

#4 06-19-2010, 07:35 AM,
Yep Yes....I should of clarified keep the Driver alot cooler...LOL! the heat off the GL1200 is massive. Again I'm still learning so sorry for the NOOB type questions.

So, I might try this wrap thing after all. I'll have to think about it....hmmmmm

I guess the next question is if it keeps heat from radiating as much will it make the engine run hotter? All I read about the wrap it claims to assist in cooling and function....Like I said already, Hmmmmm have to study this more.

EDIT: this is what exhaust wrap companies "CLAIM"
"Exhaust wraps help to retain heat in your exhaust system, which incr eases horsepower while reducing radiant heat damage. By wrapping the header and exhaust system it maintains hotter exhaust gases, decreases the density, and allows the exhaust gas to exit the system faster! Greater exhaust scavenging is produced and lowers intake temperatures: that equals more horsepower"

I wonder if that is just snake oil????
#5 06-19-2010, 08:03 AM,
I worked with a company that builds a Cobra reproduction. They custom built the headers & side pipes. They had a few customers wrap them & the end result was they got to buy hew headers & pipes. The heat being contained made the steel get brittle & fell apart. I think it would do the same to your bikes pipes. Poorboy
#6 06-19-2010, 08:39 AM,
Thanks for the TIP! I was trying to think how could holding in the heat help. I know on some if not all motorcycles the exhaust is cooled by the wind going by so I was wondering how it could help.

Any other opinions are surely welcome!

BTW, I read there was once an attempt at a group by for the Motab exhaust....Did that every happen, I wonder is there any interest now-a-days (2 years later from the posts I read).

I still think I can fix my exhaust leaks I just have to get the time to pull them off and see how bad it really is. I really hope it's just the seams and packing that rotted away...(And I'm waiting for an order of gaskets and bolts to come in because I'm very sure I will brake a bolt or two on the exhaust manifold seeing how rusted everything is....)
#7 06-19-2010, 08:46 AM,
The 1200s are a very well designed machine. There are a few weak points such as some wiring and the charging system but I haven't heard of many exhaust problems. I can't see how wrapping it would do any good and I can see how it could hold some of the heat and weaken the metal. If you decide to do it please let us know if there is any benefit to wrapping it.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#8 06-19-2010, 01:16 PM,
dont wrap em. liie Don says, too much heat makes metal brittle..
my old 85 has over 600,000 on it, oem head pipes w Cobra mufflers.
#9 06-19-2010, 03:12 PM,
Best solution is to get the headers ceramic lined, it works better than the wrap, and prevents the heat from getting to the metal at all.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#10 06-19-2010, 03:56 PM,
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm not going to wrap them. I'll just fix the leaks and go from there...
#11 06-20-2010, 09:02 AM,