Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Minor backfire on downshift?
Yeah, ordered the wires but too late to get tomorrow.
I'll pick up solving this issue after the holiday.
#16 07-01-2010, 05:31 PM,
So, new Update

I think I might of found my source of backfire on the #2. It was the Slide Cap and/or Slide!

I bought a set of Carbs off of e-bay. I figured I could scavenge some parts off it especially the Stock Slide Caps as the GL I have has aftermarket tops that don't look like they fit too well to my UN-Trained eye. You can see some of the rubber around the edges.

Anyway, So I got a set of carbs for a good price and I took the chromes off and put on the stocks. Checked all the settings and went for a ride. Only pops and backfires were while the bike was Cold. As soon as I hit operating temperature I just completed 200 miles with not one single backfire! I found this very interesting.

Now I'm going to focus on that # 2 slide and maybe mixture and see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed that I might of found the problem. I've been running circles around this problem. I also just changed to Automotive Plug wires. I know for sure it's running stronger now. I guess a better spark and tossing of those chrome tops (well tossed in the extra's box...LOL) are getting me finally on the right track?

THANKS!
#17 07-05-2010, 07:06 AM,
Quote:I know the carbs are synced pretty well, if not as close to perfect as I can get them because before the rebuild of the carbs there was a terrible stumble in the power band. It would even stall, Now it is smooth throughout. ALso the bike would run 4 bars on the temp gauge before and now it's 3 bars and 4 only on the hottest of days...

Sync'd pretty well as in you turned the air/fuel screws out the same turns and figure it's sync'd. Or did you use a set of vacuum gauges and set them properly? If you need to borrow a set of gauges, my set is traveling the country for member's to borrow. All it costs is after you are done with them, you get to ship them to the next person. See the post here. Add your name to the list if you would like to borrow them.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#18 07-07-2010, 11:01 PM,
Thanks, I do have a set of gauges.
By synced pretty well I mean, I didn't have a way to do an Idle Drop mixture setting so I started with 2 turns and then synced and then when that didn't work out to well I set to 2 and 1/4 turns and synced. That seemed much much better. I still don't think my mixture screws are set 100% accurate so I borrowed a RPM inductive gauge...well that's not working out too well because it fluctuates and I don't see the RPM drop as the process describes. So, I just went back tot he 2.25 setting again. Also on the inductive gauge you see the RPM's Double what the dash states but I "assume" that's because of the dual fire coils?

on my sync gauges I'm pretty sure I'm within two lines of each other at high idle as well as 2500RPM's as someone suggested here to check them at.
#19 07-08-2010, 02:16 AM,