Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Broken Exhaust Stud
Have you balanced/sync'd the carbs yet? I'm assuming since the head was off, you've adjusted the timing.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#16 09-17-2010, 03:50 AM,
How long was it down?
Start with the simple stuff…..
Timing should be good, or she would not run as well as you describe… are you positive the timing is correct?
Synchronize the carburetors if you have the tools…
Run a tank through the bike that has been treated with Seafoam…

When you state ‘I can throttle up’, do you do this by whacking the throttle open or do you open the throttle slowly listening for hesitation as the RPMs go up?

It may be a weak spark/coil going away – switch the coils and see if the weak spark follows
It could be small particles in the jets of 3 and 4 so the Seafoam will help with this
It could be the throttle slides for 3 and 4 are seeing some resistance (from sitting) and not opening as easily as 1 and 2.

Riding the bike with a tank treated with Seafom will address the varnished jets and the change in throttle position may clean off residue on the throttle slides
Of course, it is also a GREAT excuse to go for a ride!!

Keep us posted.

-Ride On.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#17 09-30-2010, 01:09 PM,
When I got my bike home, and I was finally able to get it to run (poorly, but run) I heard a 'clicking' or 'ticking' sound coming from both the top of the engine and from underneath. Under the bike I found two exhaust leaks but was having a hard time finding the ticking from above. One night, about twilight, I went out to listen to the bike run and noticed some major league arching taking place from the coils to the nearest metal. I mean, nice, strong, white with a bit of blue arching from both coils to the nearest metal. Very impressive looking at night. Changing the coils with known working ones from a previous project, eliminated the arching (dah) and helped the engine idle/run better (again, dah). The coil bodies had cracked and although epoxy or e-tape may have been a good bandage, my fear was the possibility of the windings have become oxidized and failure was lurking just around the corner (in the worst possible situation). So yes, coils can fail in a variety of ways.

-Ride On.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#18 10-01-2010, 10:07 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  exhaust band broken Robbie 7 5,143 03-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Last Post: CrystalPistol
  1984 starter/exhaust broke out alum ear during stud extract 5 3,213 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Guest