Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
burnt wire
the other day I was riding, stopped at red light, looked down on left side and seen smoke coming from lower fairing, smelled wire burning, stopped and smoke stopped and everything seemd to be working. Headed straight home, and removed shelter and found yellow wire at large connector chared. This is a conection that is only 6" long with plugs on both ends. It's on 87 aspy, one end is several yellow wires ad a few red/white wires. the plugs are burnt on the inside on both ends.....how do I fix and or repair this? Can I just rewire with male and female plug connectors on each and every wire? And eliminate the plug connectors? **==
#1 07-11-2010, 08:30 PM,
if it is the connector just to the left of the battery, those are the leads for the stator. there should be 3 yellow wires comming in, 3 yellow wires comming out. The best plan would be to remove the connector and soder the wires directly. At that point it does not matter which yellow wire goes to which yellow wire.

But before you do that, you should test your stator. There are post here(look for the stator test in the charging forum) telling you hao to do that.

http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2630 <- link to test

There's the link to the stator test. If the stator is bad, there is no good reason to soder the wires... But if it passes the test, sodering the wires will save you problems...
#2 07-11-2010, 09:23 PM,
As was stated, if this is the three prong, yellow going in and yellow going out connector by the battery, follow the link in above response and get that puppy fixed. Also change out the 'dog bone' to a 30AMP as described in these threads.

If this is the multi-connector under the shelter, that connector goes to the voltage regulater. You can change the single melted connector to any number of plastic connectors to bypass the melted, multi-connector as long as you connect things together the way the were. I suggest working one connector at a time, take a digital picture or draw a diagram.

Since you saw smoke, also check for melted wire insulation as that is an indication the wire within may have been damaged. The wire may still be there, but it may be charred or oxidized and either condition will cause resistance which will cause heat.

Test BOTH the stator AND the voltage rectifier just to make sure.

You may want to add a Voltmeter or an Ammeter so you can watch your charging system function.
Honda Water Sports offer a Voltmeter for their water toys. It says 'HONDA' on the face and is water proof.

Good Luck.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 07-12-2010, 03:58 PM,