Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Exhaust Extentions and baffle removal
I am trying to install some exhaust extentions on my 84 Interstate and am having trouble removing the baffles from the stock mufflers. I have the rivets drilled out but can not get the baffles out to save my butt. Is there a trick to getting them out and does just the center round part come out or does the flat part around it come out also....

Thanks
Dale
#1 08-06-2010, 01:09 PM,
Use threaded rod with a washer just slightly smaller than the exhaust opening and hold the washer in place with nuts tightened securely, pass the washer/threaded rod forward until it drops off inside the baffle then attach a chain to the exposed end of the threaded rod then place a hammer in the chain loop and use this setup as an impact driver to loosen the rust and carbon from the baffle/muffler and the baffle will slowly come out. Worked for me.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 08-06-2010, 04:28 PM,
admin Wrote:Use threaded rod with a washer just slightly smaller than the exhaust opening and hold the washer in place with nuts tightened securely, pass the washer/threaded rod forward until it drops off inside the baffle then attach a chain to the exposed end of the threaded rod then place a hammer in the chain loop and use this setup as an impact driver to loosen the rust and carbon from the baffle/muffler and the baffle will slowly come out. Worked for me.

Thanks Vic I will give that a shot and let you know how it works out....

Dale
#3 08-07-2010, 02:45 AM,
admin Wrote:Use threaded rod with a washer just slightly smaller than the exhaust opening and hold the washer in place with nuts tightened securely, pass the washer/threaded rod forward until it drops off inside the baffle then attach a chain to the exposed end of the threaded rod then place a hammer in the chain loop and use this setup as an impact driver to loosen the rust and carbon from the baffle/muffler and the baffle will slowly come out. Worked for me.

Vic you are "DA MAN" ^Smile^ , got a threaded rod, nuts, chain and washer and it worked like a champ! Got both baffles out with no problem, and did not mess them up so I can put them back in if I want to. I now have the chrome exhaust extentions installed and think they look great. No noticeable difference in the way she sounds, maybe just a little throatier but it may just be my imagination.

This board is awesome!!!!!!!

Thanks
Dale
#4 08-08-2010, 01:33 AM,
One problem with the insert type down turns is that they can trap moisture in the tapered part of the tail pipe, mine rotted out after a few years.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 08-08-2010, 05:51 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Extentions all have long insert into muffler? wayne peppers 5 2,611 04-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky