Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
84 Standard muffler update
Got the starter back from the repair shop and installed, had the muffler shop weld on new pipe to replace the old that was real thin and broken on the headers. Found the spacers for the header pipe to muffler but after inspecting the mufflers found the inlet pipe to both sides rotted away. Now it's decision time, the chrome is pealing off on one side, inlet pipes are gone, battery acid from PO on other side and new ones cost almost as much as I paid for the bike. I think it's Harley muffler time. There are some good posts here on this and I've used Harley mufflers on other bikes so a stop at the local Harley shop resulted in a set of take-offs for $20.00, this includes the headers, heat shields that I'll be able to use and the mufflers. These were off a touring bike the guy said not a sportster????? Can't believe how quiet the exhaust is with the new mufflers, working on support brackets and final mounting now. By the way, I just couldn't resist "testing out the starter" with just the headers on the bike, doesn't sound anything like I thought it would, not real loud but nice muscle. Would like to take it down the road but not sure how good that would be on valves!
#1 09-10-2010, 02:40 AM,
Go ahead and ride it. I rode mine for several miles with no mufflers and had no problems at all.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 09-10-2010, 06:14 AM,
Thanks for the encouragement, that's all I needed. Took it out for a quick spin without the mufflers and it isn't real loud like I thought it would be. Anyway the new mufflers are installed with new mounting brackets, heat shields and I'm surprised at how quiet they are perhaps a little deeper than the stock muffler on the highway. I was wondering about the effect of not having installed the crossover pipe, haven't installed one yet and not sure of consequences? Bike seems to have more pep but I also installed new plugs and that seems to have made a difference to smooth it out at idle. If I could figure out how to post a picture I'd like to show the finished mufflers, may have to get my 10 year old grandson to help!
#3 09-13-2010, 02:12 AM,
The crossover will help power and fuel economy.

Adding a picture is very easy, simply scroll down on the post reply screen and click Browse, then locate your picture on your computer, then click Add the file and voila you have a picture in your post.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 09-13-2010, 06:45 PM,
This what is in my alternator mounting kit now.

Attached Files
.jpg   Genrel 063.jpg (Size: 1.66 MB / Downloads: 216)
#5 09-13-2010, 09:47 PM,