Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
pressure
Should a gas tank on a wing have pressure in it?
#1 09-29-2010, 12:44 PM,
if you are talking about when you release the gas cap,you will normally have some

especially on the ltd/sei,supposedly from what i've heard if you dont the cap vent is not working properly,doesn't sound right to me but i'll bow to ones who know more than i do
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 09-29-2010, 03:18 PM,
brownjug Wrote:Should a gas tank on a wing have pressure in it?

Just a slight exhale when the cap is removed. Similar to the one you hear on your car. More than that and the vent in the cap may not be working (clogged) which will cause a fuel starvation problem down the road (pardon the pun).

-Ride On.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 09-30-2010, 01:44 PM,
THANKS GUYS My problem is in starting after the bike sets overnight. Thought maybe the cause was because of pressure in the tank. Guess not as I left the cap off all nite and it is still really hard to start ,all most have to run the battery down. then it well pick up one cylinder at a time. After it is running know problem.
#4 09-30-2010, 04:15 PM,
please fill out your motorcycle info so that we might know what model we are talking about

several things to try,pull the headlight fuse before you try to start it next time,if it starts better that might mean the battery connections need cleaning and/or the battery needs replacing

does it start harder once it warms up,if so would tend to mean that the starter brushes need replacement and cleaned up,if starter isn't turning fast enough its alot harder for engine to start

you might even check and/or replace the fuel filter,plugs may also need replacement too,in fact that might be the first thing you might want to try

alot of things can cause the problem you are having,you just have to be willing to do one thing at a time to really find out what the problem might be
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 10-01-2010, 10:41 AM,
This only occurs after the bike sits overnight?
Do you have this problem when the bike is warm or at operating temperature?

It may be fuel delivery although I would not rule out spark.
Testing should be done under the same conditions as when the problem occurs, testing after the bike has sat overnight or for a long period of time.
Check for consistent and strong spark, consistent fuel flow to and from the fuel pump, when was the fuel filter changed last? Try some Seafoam in the gas tank (follow directions on can) and note any changes in the amount of time it take to start the engine. Are you using choke? How much? How long? Could be the choke circuit is not functioning properly (Seafoam may not cure this). Too long a usage of choke on short rides may foul the plugs. Recall, the choke on these bikes is not choke at all, it is more of an increase in fuel rather than a reduction of air. Same end result, in a different manner. How is the air filter? It may look good but may be restricting air which will cause the bike to run rich, and possibly contribute to plugs fouling. Also note any coughing or back firing at startup after overnight sitting. Take notes if you can’t remember (I can’t remember so I have notebooks of notes – they make good reference too). I read here somewhere, a well tuned GL1200 will start easily after sitting, with a short amount of little choke. In another thread I was having trouble with the rpm’s coming down after closing the throttle after shifting. As odd as it may seem, by lowering my idle 100-200 rpm, the problem went away. ? I have no clue why!! I was thinking it was a vacuum leak but I had changed and later checked all the vacuum lines, changed the intake o-rings, changed the air filter (which did look good) and the problem persisted. I checked the operation of the choke and was contemplating removing the carburetors. The cure was lowering the rpm! Weird. Good luck. Keep us posted (pardon the pun).

-Ride On.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 10-01-2010, 11:00 AM,
Thanks guys Ill due some checking tomorrow The bike is a 1984 asp with 103k on it. just started giving me this problem about two weeks ago. Plugs and air filter about 1000 miles ago. Like I said after you get it started it run like a dream.
#7 10-01-2010, 05:15 PM,
Biggest improvement in starting on my '85 GL1200 came about when I pulled the starter and put new brushes in and did the grounding the brush plate modification. It leaps to life after that.
Make Courtesy Your "Code of the Road" ......

[Image: 85Winggoodphoto500w.jpg]

...... and whatever you do ... Have a Safe Trip! :shy:
#8 03-02-2011, 12:30 AM,