Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Goldwing Gl1200 helmet
I don't know if anyone is interested but i found a goldwing helmet in a second hand shop it is gold in color
has all the emblems inside is really clean. It doesn't have the drop down face shield that is missing.
overall helmet is nice shape. He wants $25.00 for it. I could pick it up for someone or i can hook you up with
the guy at the second hand shop.
you can email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:clancymunson@yahoo.com">clancymunson@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->
87 Interstate
Can't wait till my next ride !!!!
#1 10-27-2010, 05:37 PM,
Thanks for the heads up :lol: :lol: :lol: on the helmet Clancy.

Probably, since my head is in the xxxL size range, this helmet wouldn't even fit me.

At first I thought to look into buying this helmet anyhow -- I like to use original GoldWing accessories. But then it dawned on me that this is safety equipment, and it may pay to look up what the lifespan is of helmets -- even with D.O.T. AND Snell ratings.

Quoting from the people who set the standards at the Snell Memorial Foundation:

"Why should you replace your helmet every five years?
The five year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production over time can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy. "

For anyone hell bent on using an old helmet, the lining can be upgraded by following a set of instructions at Renew Old Motorcycle Helmets-easy & inexpensive.

There's an excellent Web site called Motorcycle Helmets: All About Helmets which contains a lot of technical information. It has practical tips such as: "Foam shaving cream makes a decent anti-fog, put some on your shield on the inside and then wipe it down with some soft kleenex. This will last a couple weeks. Alternatively, there's an inexpensive product called (no kidding, I can't make up stuff this good) Cat Crap that's highly regarded among riders. Also available at many sporting goods stores, about $3.50."
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#2 10-30-2010, 01:56 AM,
Hey Grandpah
Thanks i learned something from you that must be why they call you Grandpah Tongue Tongue
I had forgotten about the Cat Crap but the shaving cream was a new one on me also i never
thought about the helmet replacement every five years. Mine is about ten years old now.Maybe i
will let the wife use that one. :twisted: I was thinking that the helmet would be like a collector but
i since see you can buy brand new gl1200 helmets.
Thanks again Grandpah
87 Interstate
Can't wait till my next ride !!!!
#3 10-30-2010, 07:38 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1984 Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade for sale Vinck 0 1,375 09-16-2020, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Vinck
  Goldwing GL1200 after market chrome parts Gone14S 4 1,876 08-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Gone14S
  1984 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Aspencade 2 1,424 07-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Last Post: wpgfire
  1984 Black Goldwing GL1200 Standard 2 1,471 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Last Post: admin
  Goldwing 84' GL1200 Aspencade - $3990 LE calorchard 3 1,705 02-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Last Post: Ed Z