Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Safety issue sidestand WARNING
Ok here is how it goes down went for a ride last weekend. We stopped for a break i shut the
engine off kicked the sidestand out and dismounted.
This is where i developed a hernia and almost dropped the bike on its side . I managed to hold
it until my buddy got to me helped me get it back up on center.
We couldn't get it to rest on the sidestand so after looking closer the Spring was being held
back by the main bolt. It had loosened up and was almost out. He tightened the bolt
while i held the bike and everything was ok and worked like it was supposed to.
If i hadn't had help i probably wouldn't have been able to hold it for long because it caught
me by surprise and was way over by the time i caught it.
So the moral of that story is want to check that bolt every so often. I used a little
locktite blue on it when i got home. Feel much better now but i will never forget it.
Hope this helps someone from having a near disaster like i almost did.
87 Interstate
Can't wait till my next ride !!!!
#1 02-15-2011, 08:43 PM,
Oh Crap!!!
Glad to hear you saved it Clancy.
I did the math....750lbs @ 45 degree angle does = Hernia :-SS
Nice save!
#2 02-15-2011, 09:01 PM,
if you notice that its starting to lean more while on the sidestand its a good chance the bolt has loosened up some,also if the bolt was loose they sometimes get alot of slack in that slot and wont tighten up all the way,just place a thin metric wavy washer in the opening to take up some of the slack
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 02-15-2011, 09:06 PM,
Good post. Another one of those things I need to check before I start the Spring riding season.
#4 02-16-2011, 09:28 AM,