Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
They say the third time is a charm... Maybe??? New Member???
Well lets try this again just singed up as a new member for the third time and made a post but it doesn't show on the forum. (I must really be bad). It is apparent the site is being attacked with spammers but now I am curious, is the spam coming from where my e-mail is located? Is this why I am being deleted from the forum? Is this happening to other new members? Getting a bit frustrated here...
#1 01-26-2011, 07:48 AM,
Welcome from Massachusetts. Looks like it worked this time. I think the Admin's were trying to get rid of some spammer's and you might have been scooped up in that. Now that you're here it'll be worth the effort. This is the best site ever for GL1200's. Alot of that is due to the Admin's clean up efforts.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#2 01-26-2011, 03:05 PM,
Welcome from Vermont! Best site ever!!!!
#3 01-26-2011, 03:48 PM,
From reading Marty's other post, it would seem you're on board now, Vern.

Welcome and enjoy!
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#4 01-26-2011, 03:54 PM,
Welcome from East Texas.
wpd210

[Image: th_VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#5 01-26-2011, 06:18 PM,
Hi--I'm new to the page but there seems to be alot of great info on here. I just got my 84 Aspy in the fall, took it to the shop where it stayed until new years eve. I had all the fluids changed out--coolant, oil, final drive and had the brakes bled, new spark plugs, all carbs rebuilt(one was leaking) and its running great now...if spring will get here. The only concern I have is the timing belts because I don't know their age or condition but so far so good, I've put on a new windshield and backrest, hope to get in some serious miles this year. <!-- e --><a href="mailto:Bigjim455@yahoo.com">Bigjim455@yahoo.com</a><!-- e --> Southeast VA
#6 01-26-2011, 06:51 PM,
welcome from dover centre ontario...pop:65....when everyone's home from school!............and yes,it was worth the wait getting here.lots of good folks,lots of sound advice!
#7 01-26-2011, 07:51 PM,
Vern, welcome to the forum from Southwest Arkansas.
Bryce
85 Interstate Wineberry Red
86 Interstate Denuim Blue Metalic
#8 01-26-2011, 08:07 PM,
welcome from Baltimore ontario.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#9 01-26-2011, 08:16 PM,
Welcome from sunny Anaheim Ca.
"keep your bikes in good repair, motorcycle boots are not good for walking"
Great forum w/ loads of information.
#10 01-26-2011, 10:01 PM,
Welcome from Wilkesport ontario.. your perserverence will pay off. Enjoy
'85 GL1200 Aspencade
'07 Shadow Sabre 1100
South of Sarnia, SW Ontario, Can
#11 01-27-2011, 04:11 AM,
bigjim455 Wrote:Hi--I'm new to the page but there seems to be alot of great info on here. I just got my 84 Aspy in the fall, took it to the shop where it stayed until new years eve. I had all the fluids changed out--coolant, oil, final drive and had the brakes bled, new spark plugs, all carbs rebuilt(one was leaking) and its running great now...if spring will get here. The only concern I have is the timing belts because I don't know their age or condition but so far so good, I've put on a new windshield and backrest, hope to get in some serious miles this year. <!-- e --><a href="mailto:Bigjim455@yahoo.com">Bigjim455@yahoo.com</a><!-- e --> Southeast VA

Welcome bigjim455 from Redondo Beach, Ca.!
You are well on your way to peace of mind getting the ‘new’ bike to square one.
Your concern is the condition of the timing belts. You not knowing their age or their condition may be the biggest reason to change them. Of course, having had all that work already done to the bike is no small financial outlay so maybe restricting your rides to short, sweet and around town may be a course of action. (lighting candles, burning incense and a rabbits foot may help too).
When the belt(s) go, valves and pistons WILL come together, both looking for the same space at the same time and it will not be pretty. Again, for peace of mind, get them changed or change them yourself. Many members have done it, I have done it and I can rest easier on the freeway knowing the belts are new and adjusted correctly.
When I took mine off, they were MOTHER HONDA, OEM. I do not know if they were replaced, they looked good, Original Owner kept records and I did not see them replaced. Yet, the bike had 104K miles on the clock! Original and well overdue or replaced and not recorded, I don’t know. But I DO know, they have been replaced now. Peace of mind, and with my temples racing to see who can get to my ankles first, it is a welcomed Peace of Mind.
Aftermarket belts are available for quite a bit less than Mother Honda and are made by Quality Belt manufactures. It is easier than you may think. Most of the time is spent taking off the body panels/pieces to gain access to the belts. Actual remove/replace/adjust/verify is very short, sweet, and to the point.

Anyway, welcome, welcome. Enjoy the ride and this forum. Remember, just because you may not have a question, does not mean you can’t come here and just read.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#12 01-28-2011, 08:59 AM,
I lost proper timing on my bike once (enough) and one head had to be rebuilt. Cost over $1100. :-SS :-W :x B-( #-O If in doubt, change the belts. :-@
#13 01-28-2011, 12:36 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  They say the third time is a charm... Maybe??? 7 5,366 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Last Post: BUDD TWO