Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
CB not transmitting or receiving
Hi folks, CB was working fine, then decided to have a hissy fit.

even though the TX shows as working fine, as does the channels etc, it wont transmit and when
receiving, there is just a loud buzz in the head set.

been through and checked all connections, antenna and all are fine. While I no next to nothing about electronics, I suspect the problem could be behind the button, that changes the channel, from 1 to 9.

My reasoning is that, the button was very stiff when I got the CB, and I was hesitant to use it, but when
cleaning the CB I pushed the button by mistake, and then the problems started.

my question is, can the mechanics behind the button be reached by removing the outer cover, how does
the mechanics behind the button work?

many thanks,
Robbie
1986 GL1200 Aspencade (mariah)
#1 01-29-2011, 02:58 PM,
Not sure exactly what is wrong with your CB, but you could call Sierra Electronics. They might be able to help. You can even send it to them for an overhaul.

Sierra Electronics
Attn: Service Dept.
2080 Experiment Farm Rd
Troy, OH 45373

1-800-338-6938 Toll Free orders

The standard cost is $100 and you should see you radio back in about 7 days after their receipt of it. My CB would come on, change channels all that good stuff but without reception or transmission. Sierra techs told me this is a common problem with our CBs.

Good Luck.
#2 01-30-2011, 08:02 PM,
thanks very much for you reply compint, that is what I will do.

I have managed to get to the mechanics behind the button, and gave everthing a clean up,
and am just waiting to check it out with another cb.

its all a bit hit and miss, not knowing nothing about cb's next step will be to sierra I think.

cheers,
Robbie
1986 GL1200 Aspencade (mariah)
#3 01-30-2011, 08:22 PM,
When on channel 9, it should show 09 the display on yours looks like it has taken the biscuit, mine is similar although it does receive and transmit, it is difficult to know exactly what channel it is on. Sometimes after it has been on for a while it does clear up. I did send it to Sierra but they said they couldn't get parts and couldn't fix that problem.

Maybe give the unit a good clean by removing the boards. The CB is quite robust, it's a wonder they still work after so long and the conditions they work under.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 05-26-2011, 04:27 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CB is muffled when receiving and sending daljaz 8 2,204 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  cb not transmitting or receiving Robbie 3 1,446 06-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Robbie