Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
mith or reality :center stand, side stand , all the same or
c/p:honda gl 1200 doc:
I need the steps listed for removal of the starter from a 1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition 1200cc.

Get the answer below
Sponsored Links

Dirt Cheap Honda PartsOEM Honda Motorcycle & ATV Parts Lowest Prices On OEM Honda Parts!www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

Honda Gold Wing ForumJoin Honda Gold Wing owners at our Free Gold Wing Forum today. Ride onwww.GoldWingOwners.com

StartersFast & Free Shipping from The Nerd 10% off Coupon Code: Nerds Rulewww.autopartsnerd.com

Answer
Hi David,

Removal / Overhaul of GL1200 Starter Motor

I have attempted to make this list of instructions as simple as possible so that it could be understood by all. Should you have any questions or need clarification with respect to any aspect of this procedure, please do not hesitate to contact me via email at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:kenjo@telus.net">kenjo@telus.net</a><!-- e -->

To understand why the bike must be on the side stand for this procedure
, you must understand that the starter is driven by a gear in a drive chain off the starter clutch. The starter is plugged into the engine casing and engages the gear that basically hangs loose in the chain that comes down from the starter clutch. After you pull out the starter, you will notice the round hole. When you look into the hole, you will see the gear hanging in the chain in the middle of the open hole. If the bike was on the center stand, the chain would swing over and the gear would not be in the middle of the hole. Thusly, the starter will not engage the gear when you go to plug it back into the engine casing. Put the bike on the side stand and leave it there until the starter motor is back in.

**** This removal procedure applies to the 1985 (late) to 1987 GL1200 only. The 1984 and early 1985 GL1200 starter motor is different and can be removed by following the instructions given for the GL1000/1100 series. The late 1985 to 1987 starter motor is easily identified by the hump on the casing near the reduction gear case housing where it plugs into the engine.

1. Bike on side stand.
2. Disconnect the battery.
3. Disconnect the cable from the starter motor.
4. If the bike is equipped with floorboards, remove the one on the starter side as well as the heel/toe shifter and any connection to the shift shaft protruding from the engine.
5. If the bike is equipped with a factory shifter, remove it from the shift shaft as well as the foot peg.
6. Remove the exhaust system on both sides of the bike and just lower it to the ground. This sounds involved but is actually quite easy. There are 4 exhaust nuts per side and the rear hanger bolts. You will need new copper exhaust gaskets for the reinstallation.
7. Remove the two exhaust manifold studs from the bottom of Cylinder #4 (the rear one on the left side). Use a stud remover tool or the old double nut trick.
8. Remove the two 8mm bolts that secure the starter motor to the engine. Wiggle the starter out of the engine casing and away out through the area that you created by removing the exhaust and studs.
9. Repair the starter motor as required.
10. Reinstall in the reverse order. Put grease or Vaseline on the O ring to aid in inserting the starter back into the casing.

HERE IS THE WEIRD THING

Removal/Over haul of GL1000/1100 starter motor.

I have attempted to make this list of instructions as simple as possible so that it could be understood by all. Should you have any questions or need clarification with respect to any aspect of this procedure, please do not hesitate to contact me via email at
<ken.jo@shaw.ca>

To understand why the bike must be on the side stand for this procedure

, you must understand that the starter is driven by a gear in a drive chain off the starter clutch. The starter is plugged into the engine casing and engages the gear that basically hangs loose in the chain that comes down from the starter clutch. After you pull out the starter, you will notice the round hole. When you look into the round hole, you will see the gear hanging in the chain in the middle of the open hole. If the bike was on the center stand, the chain would swing over and the gear would not be in the middle of the hole. Thusly, the starter will not engage the gear when you go to plug it back into the engine casing. Put the bike on the side stand and leave it there until the starter motor is back in.
1. Bike on side stand.
2. Disconnect the battery.
3. Disconnect the cable from the starter motor.
4. If the bike is equipped with floorboards, remove the one on the starter side as well as the heel/toe shifter and any connection to the shift shaft protruding from the engine.
5. If the bike is equipped with a factory shifter, remove it from the shift shaft as well as the foot peg.
6. Remove the two 8mm bolts that secure the starter motor to the engine. A ¼’ drive universal on a socket works well here. Wiggle the starter out of the engine casing and away.
7. Repair the starter motor as required.
8. Reinstall in the reverse order. Put grease or vaseline on the “O” ring to aid in inserting the starter back into the casing.

TO RESUME : 1984 method is like 1000/1100 , side stand , so 1000,1100, 1200 are all the same?

by the way what is the HUMP ON THE CASING

thanks

sorry to bring that again

i will begin in a short time
#1 03-25-2011, 12:37 PM,
Although the 84 starter is different from the 85-87 starters it too has the nylon guide preventing the gear from falling out of sight into the rear cover.

Only the 1000 and 1100's had that issue necessitating the hard lean of the bike to the right the entire time the starter is out.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#2 03-25-2011, 01:51 PM,
unionjack Wrote:Although the 84 starter is different from the 85-87 starters it too has the nylon guide preventing the gear from falling out of sight into the rear cover.

Only the 1000 and 1100's had that issue necessitating the hard lean of the bike to the right the entire time the starter is out.

Q.: so the 1984 have a nylon guide? correct? you change it on center stand?

Q.:2 i did saw a picture that you can take off the starter without pull off mufflers, just the shifter

cya 8) 8) 8) 8)
#3 03-25-2011, 04:44 PM,
YES, you can pull the starter on the side or center stand.

You have to remove the shifter and drop the exhaust manifold, not the muffler (just loosen the clamp so you can rotate the manifold down and out of the way). You will also have to remove one of the exhaust manifold studs to get the starter out. It is a fairly simple proceedure...took me a little over thirty minutes with my limited mechanical skills and fumbling thumbs :d
Remember, No matter where you go...There you are!

Here is where I have ridden my 1984 GL1200I
I completed the lower 48 states in August 2009, riding the whole way with my Dad

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#4 03-27-2011, 05:42 AM,
Sgt Dave Wrote:YES, you can pull the starter on the side or center stand.

You have to remove the shifter and drop the exhaust manifold, not the muffler (just loosen the clamp so you can rotate the manifold down and out of the way). You will also have to remove one of the exhaust manifold studs to get the starter out. It is a fairly simple proceedure...took me a little over thirty minutes with my limited mechanical skills and fumbling thumbs :d

beleive me or not , i saw a pic and a method :pulling strater with just shifter remove. nothing about manifold and the stud!!!!!!!!!! is it possible?

have a good day
#5 03-27-2011, 09:50 AM,
it is that statement in GW docs:that put me a doubt: and Clymers service manual that said the same thing to p #200

**** This removal procedure applies to the 1985 (late) to 1987 GL1200 only. The 1984 and early 1985 GL1200 starter motor is different and can be removed by following the instructions given for the GL1000/1100 series. The late 1985 to 1987 starter motor is easily identified by the hump on the casing near the reduction gear case housing where it plugs into the engine.
#6 03-27-2011, 09:54 AM,
Sgt Dave Wrote:YES, you can pull the starter on the side or center stand.

you had a plastic guide?

what i dont understand is that: and why:

To understand why the bike must be on the side stand for this procedure, you must understand that the starter is driven by a gear in a drive chain off the starter clutch. The starter is plugged into the engine casing and engages the gear that basically hangs loose in the chain that comes down from the starter clutch. After you pull out the starter, you will notice the round hole. When you look into the hole, you will see the gear hanging in the chain in the middle of the open hole. If the bike was on the center stand, the chain would swing over and the gear would not be in the middle of the hole. Thusly, the starter will not engage the gear when you go to plug it back into the engine casing. Put the bike on the side stand and leave it there until the starter motor is back in.

GL1000/1100 series Confusedide stand!!!!!!!!!!!!

[b]Claymer manual: [/b]1984 and early1985 Confusedide stand, late 85, 86,87 center stand.

many thanks
#7 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM,
Franky, Please rest assured that the 1984 starter can be removed and installed with the bike on the center stand. I did my '84 last fall and had no problem. The exhaust must be loosened and lowered to get it off the studs and one stud will have to come out. This was no problem for my bike because the stud was looser than the nut so it came right out. You may need to double nut it or use a stud remover. Peace and have faith. Just do it if you haven't already.
Bob
#8 03-28-2011, 10:56 AM,
robdavspa Wrote:Franky, Please rest assured that the 1984 starter can be removed and installed with the bike on the center stand. I did my '84 last fall and had no problem. The exhaust must be loosened and lowered to get it off the studs and one stud will have to come out. This was no problem for my bike because the stud was looser than the nut so it came right out. You may need to double nut it or use a stud remover. Peace and have faith. Just do it if you haven't already.
Bob

i am about to do it..........Q.:1.so you have a plastic guide in ?

thanks

Q.:2 btw these manuals [b](honda and clymer) have done a error in their books
? (some paragraphe in clymer come from the official Honda service manual.)

cya[/b]
#9 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM,
Yes, Frankie...the books sometimes get it wrong or they just go by the "official" method.

I have removed my starter a couple of times on the center stand, absolutely no problems.
Remember, No matter where you go...There you are!

Here is where I have ridden my 1984 GL1200I
I completed the lower 48 states in August 2009, riding the whole way with my Dad

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#10 03-28-2011, 10:01 PM,
The 84 book was a throw back to the same procedure used on the 1000 and 1100's however it does indeed have the nylon guide so the center stand will be fine.

The 84 starter is different than the one found on the 85-87 but the procedure is identical.

You will need to remove the header pipe and one stud, then it will slide out easily, the muffler can stay where it is.

I did mine a few years ago and had the same concerns due to rumors and uncertainty regarding the 84 engine too.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#11 03-29-2011, 09:03 AM,
unionjack Wrote:The 84 book was a throw back to the same procedure used on the 1000 and 1100's however it does indeed have the nylon guide so the center stand will be fine.

The 84 starter is different than the one found on the 85-87 but the procedure is identical.

You will need to remove the header pipe and one stud, then it will slide out easily, the muffler can stay where it is.

I did mine a few years ago and had the same concerns due to rumors and uncertainty regarding the 84 engine too.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
#12 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM,

Where exactly is the hump?
#13 04-03-2011, 02:46 PM,