Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bearings knocking ?
My 86 Aspencade has 86000 miles on it. I bought it about 3 months ago,So I don't have many long
trips under my belt on this bike.
My concern is at about 70 mph or 3600 rpm ''ish" I'll start to hear a knock, reduce speed a little bit
the noise goes away. i'm pretty sure it's the same sound I hear on start-up for 1/2 second or so.
My guess is main & or connecting rod bearings.
I don't have a problem tearing the engine down, but i'd like to wait till next fall. I don't want to
cause any more damage, but isn't most of the damage done already.

Can I nurse this along if I keep sustained rpm's under 3600?
How about heavier oil, a straight 30 or even 40 weight?

I am a firm believer in strict maintenance, So 86000 miles does't sound like a lot to me, is it, for
this engine? I don't have maintenance records for those 86000 miles either,so who's to say how
it has been kept up.
Any advice is appreciated,

Dan
#1 05-21-2011, 05:33 AM,
My 1984 sets up a 'resonance' at about 65 mph that sounds, from the saddle, like a knock but runs perfectly. If I pull the clutch in and blip the throttle it does not make that sound. If it was bearings it would knock then. If it uses no oil and is running cool enough I would just run it and ignore the sound. The 80K miles is not at all the wear limit on these engines. Luck.
Bob
#2 05-21-2011, 07:12 AM,
I know this is discussed somewhere. I can't find the thread but its something about a clogged oil port and the lifters collapse......I am sure someone will chime in on this soon
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#3 05-21-2011, 12:21 PM,
Gold wing is a high rpm engine, you would be better off with the rpm above 3600 than below. 2000-2500 rpm is lugging it.
joe
#4 05-22-2011, 10:58 AM,
Dan 1448 Wrote:My 86 Aspencade has 86000 miles on it. I bought it about 3 months ago,So I don't have many long
trips under my belt on this bike.
My concern is at about 70 mph or 3600 rpm ''ish" I'll start to hear a knock, reduce speed a little bit
the noise goes away. i'm pretty sure it's the same sound I hear on start-up for 1/2 second or so.
My guess is main & or connecting rod bearings.
I don't have a problem tearing the engine down, but i'd like to wait till next fall. I don't want to
cause any more damage, but isn't most of the damage done already.

Can I nurse this along if I keep sustained rpm's under 3600?
How about heavier oil, a straight 30 or even 40 weight?

I am a firm believer in strict maintenance, So 86000 miles does't sound like a lot to me, is it, for
this engine? I don't have maintenance records for those 86000 miles either,so who's to say how
it has been kept up.
Any advice is appreciated,

Dan

Try running it just below 70 mph, add some Seafoam (per container directions) to your favorite oil and see if that helps.
Running a 20 weight or higher has negative consequences during start-ups in the colder climates.
There is a thread about a clogged oil port in the heads (I remember reading that too) but haven't found the thread yet.

We all know the effects of running an engine at too low an rpm in too high a gear - just listen to the motor and stay away from there.
Get the knock repaired because 70 mph is a nice spot to travel on the open road.

Good Luck.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#5 05-25-2011, 02:00 PM,
-up date-
Thanks to everybody that replied.
I tried to reproduce that "knock" in lower gears, same RPMs. I couldn't hear the noise.
thats good news!
I think Bob "robdavspa" might have hit it on the head.
the "resonance" i'm hearing may be a better term than knock.
The combination of engine and gear case RPMs with high road speed seem to be the culprit at
this point.
If anything changes I'll call it in.
I still want to give the oil the "seafoam" treatment.
Is that a brand name?
Can I find it at Fleet Farm or Automotive Supply?
Or should I head for the Honda shop

Dan
#6 05-27-2011, 05:39 AM,
Seafoam is a brand name and is found at any automotive store....
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#7 05-27-2011, 05:56 AM,