Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
normal operating temperature
Can someone tell me what the normal operating temperature is on the highway at about 70 mph. I realize it will vary by ambient temperature, and I live in south central AZ, the hottest place on earth, or at least in the country, except maybe Death Valley, but it is called Death Valley for a reason. I have the digital gauges, and it runs at 6 bars, in town or on the highway, pretty much any condition (with outside temps around 110 degrees). It has never gone above 6 bars, the fan comes on and keeps it from going any higher. I am considering hooking up the fan through a manual switch, so it can be on all the time, which it pretty much is anyway. The charging system certainly makes enough power for that.

Anyway, I recently flushed the cooling system out with distilled water (drained the coolant, filled it with distilled water, ran it 10 minutes, drained and refilled it again with distilled water) I did this till the water came out completely clear. Then I refilled the system with Maxima motorcycle coolant. Since it does not go above 6 bars, I am assuming coolant is circulating, which means the T stat is opening. Is this a normal operating temperature under the conditions, or does it seem a bit high?
#1 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM,
I think the manual states that anywhere from two to eight bars is normal. Personally, our 'Wing runs at a pretty constant four bars except when in slow traffic, two-up and high ambient temperature. Then she goes to six but once we're moving again and the fan has done its job, we're back to four.

I changed the thermostat last fall along with all new hoses and a rad flush/service because we were running between six and eight bars coming home from Washington two-up and in hot temperatures. It also gave me a chance to check the water pump which was fine.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#2 06-21-2011, 01:31 PM,
When it's pretty hot outside mine hangs at about 6 bars. When cooler, about 4-5 bars.
#3 06-21-2011, 02:17 PM,
I think that's just about right, Bill.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#4 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM,
Thanks. I guess mine is pretty normal at 6 bars then. I would consider 110+ to be pretty hot outside.
#5 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM,
I'd say that 6 bars in 110 degree heat is VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY GOOD. :d :d :d :d
#6 06-21-2011, 03:51 PM,
I live in the Prescott area and mine runs at 5-6 bars depending how hot it is outside. I even hit 7 if it's hot in stop n go traffic. It always cools down to 6 cruising again. If it's 70 or below out, she'll actually run at 4 bars, never lower after warmed up. I changed my thermostat and flushed the coolant thinking mine was running hot. It didn't make a difference. Still runs at the same temp. Talked to a classic goldwing mechanic and he said that was the correct operating temp. If the fan turns on and off, it's not getting too hot. I'll be riding :arrow: your way this Winter when we have snow up here :d
Previous Rides in order from latest...
80 Harley FLT Tour Glide...78 Harley XLS 1000 Sportster...?? Honda 3-wheeler 90cc...68 Triumph Hardtail 12 over springer...?? yamaha XS360(6 speed)-rode 1120 miles in 22 hrs...68 Honda CB175-My 1st ride when I was 18
#7 09-13-2011, 02:50 PM,