Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.57 Average
Wow! A site that understands me!
Perhaps. ;-) Hello all, I'm fairly joyous in finding a forum not just dedicated to the Goldwing; but, to my particular flavor. \:d/ As you can see from my Avatar I have a 1984 GL1200i, wow, and here that's all I needed to say. Other than she has around 80k miles on her, and is feeling all of them, at the moment.

Basically, I had gone onto the internet to research the, yes, it's reared it's ugly solenoid head again, the burnt starter relay problem. One would have thought that I'd recognize the acrid smell of burning wires and start thinking, "Hey, that might be me." But, as I'm sure a lot of you can attest (sigh) it was furthest from my mind as 1) I took care of it before [hmmmm, maybe not] and 2) She'd been running great for so long I was starting to think I was bulletproof.

Needless to say I went looking for help for many reasons. But, as serendipity would have it, and a great joyous occasion it is %%- (almost makes up for the fact that I can't ride right now [unless I want to charge the battery, and make it a short ride]) I found this site. ^Smile^

I've enjoyed a Goldwing site or two in the past; but, as long as I can keep this girl running; I'm here for as long as I can stay, if you know what I mean.
My last bike was a Yamaha XS650, or is it 650XS, I forget. V-twin. I'm afraid at 56yrs, I'm getting too old to get vibrated to death (even if the ladies seemed to enjoy it :-J ), and I'd always wanted a Goldwing for as long as I've known they existed. Nothing against Harley, I think they're a great bike; but, me, I wanted a Goldwing, always had.

A friend of my wife at work had a Goldwing, newer model, and her fiance had just bought a newer model and he had this '84i and well the rest is history. I've had the bike now for almost five years, ride it regularly... haven't built up trust with her yet to go for a long haul.. I'm trying to get there though.
But, well, here's the deal... this last time, these same friends asked if I'd like to go on the "Trail of Tears' Run this year. And I thought about it, and thought about it... (remember, she's been doing well and behaving, except... well, later with that.) so I went up to the bike (no kidding) and I said to her; so, how do you feel about doing the 'Trail of Tears' and she said... heck she didn't say anything, she's a motorcycle; but, when I did take her out later I thought (only thought mind you) I could smell something electrical... maybe? And, like I do with stuff like that... I immediately shoved my head in a hole in the ground where I couldn't smell it anymore.

So, before I go on about that cause I'm a little OT here about that. So, I've ridden since I was 15 years old and use to race in Riverside California, Trials, and Dirt and whatever I could do starting with 50cc in the dirt behind the trailer park and out in the desert with my friend... to a 360 Yamaha Enduro, so I could ride both street and dirt.. and off and on till the babies came... Anyway, I'm here now with my Goldwing. woo hoo.

:-@ yeah.. my wife tells me that a lot too. So, Howdy folks. I'm glad to be here, I hope to stick around for a while; I don't know much; but, I could help a newbie... hmmm it's probably that solenoid problem... here's a link... heheh.

So, anyway... I rode around for about a week, and I'd swear it smelled like the car next to me was having electrical problems.... OK... OK, after a few times I was getting suspicious... but, my head was in the hole in the ground. So, I go out the other night (a pizza run, with my wife as part of my leanabago kick back ride... and I notice that the headlights look pretty dim tonight, and the instrument panel. Must be my imagination, hmmm, maybe I left the air pump plugged into the cigarette lighter - nothing I hate more than riding hard tail, and lately, the airshock need air every fifteen minutes.... well, actually, since I dumped a few ounces of hydraulic fluid down the air hole, they've been acting pretty good.... so I reach over to the cigarette lighter and feel for the plug... It's dark and my dash is dimmer than usual and besides I can never find that thing in the dark. It's not plugged in!

I look at the volt meter, and it reads 10V. I turn back to my wife and say... don't panic.. but, we have problems. She goes oh, will we make it home? :YMPRAY: And I say.... (this is Off Topic) [-X to be continued in the CHARGING SYSTEM AND CONVERSION ALTERNATORS forum... or IGNITION SYSTEM CAUSES AND CURES, or hmmm maybe LIGHTING AND ELECTRICAL, or STARTER??? :d no, thank God, not that... Ahhh, IF YOU JUST CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT FORUM IT BELONGS IN... sigh, I guess that's the one.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello... catch you around... still can't find that member map I was told to check out... :-SS
#1 07-02-2011, 02:25 AM,
welcome to this site, I am also a new Goldwing rider and have found a great deal of help here and I'm sure you will too..
If I can help in any way I will be happy too..
Johan
#2 07-02-2011, 03:09 AM,
Greetings and welcome from Massachusetts! I see you've found the Tech section of this forum. Read, read, and read, you'll get loads of info. Ask questions, there's plenty here that love to share GL1200 info.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#3 07-02-2011, 04:40 AM,
Welcome to the site from Baltimore Ontario. This site is full of good info, use the search on the top right of this page to help answer your questions or just ask and we will help you.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#4 07-02-2011, 07:23 AM,
Welcome from N.E. Ohio, Chip!
#5 07-02-2011, 07:58 AM,
Hello from Ohio....Smile
#6 07-02-2011, 03:11 PM,
Greetings from Northern MN, enjoy your visits here and you could take a look at the stator discussions as the Poor Boy Solution of the external alternator is the very opportunity you've been waiting for!

Welcome!
[Image: Goldwing%202010.jpg]
#7 07-02-2011, 09:15 PM,
Welcome from East Texas.
wpd210

[Image: th_VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#8 07-02-2011, 10:38 PM,
[Image: ctmwelcome_e0.gif] :YMHUG:

from tropical St. Louis (today reaching 105°F/41°C-degrees in the sun!) .

[Image: DancingPeaks.gif]

If you can't find it here, it doesn't exist.
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#9 07-03-2011, 02:00 AM,
Of course, we made it home with no problem. I've been keeping an eye on the battery, determined to make this one last more than a year.
Thanks to all who gave me the warm welcome. :YMHUG: I had gotten lucky on my electrical problem. I had thought the PO had done the "Solenoid Modification" http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1004.htm alas no. So I did it, cleaned and painted the battery box while I was at it. Rewired the K-mart (Craftsman) air compressor directly to the battery, not having that is what gave me the problem in the first place, and mounted a switch on the right saddlebag for easy access. :d Still trying to find out why my front fog lights won't come on. :-\ But, had to stop for a while due to excessive Heat warnings in the area. 8-X 8-X Day 7? Today's first day in a while I've only seen a "Heat Warning" so, maybe I'll get something done. I want to get riding again. \:d/

As usual, I need new tires, I need some plastic parts (faring stuff) but don't know how to name it. Need Air shock seal kit, if such thing exists. I need a faster way to get my tires changed, or tires that last longer, and a whole lot more. I expect to be sticking around a while; even if intermittently so. Wife is going through peri-menopause. ^Smile^ And with a family statistic of failed marriages on the female side of the family. I'm taking an extended visit (separation?) up north. Sure which I could tow the bike. Seriously folks, none of my wife's Aunts nor her mother, had a marriage that survived menopause, neither her Grandmother, nor her grandmother's sister's marriages survived menopause, and back at least two more generations. Confusedhock: The only exception was Aunt Betty, and... she was institutionalized as being insane during that period, lobotomized her, and she's (cough), did fine until she passed a couple of years ago. 8-X No joke folks... :twisted: I'm getting out of dodge. No man should wonder IF his wife will kill him... let alone "when". :-SS

Wish me luck. %%- Sometimes it's better to leave while you still love someone, then to wait until they remove your head. :YMALIEN: I just wish I was better off financially. B-(
#10 07-25-2011, 02:56 PM,
Welcome from Georgia cyberchip. I see you live in South Carolina, just next door so to speak. I also have an 84 Interstate, mine is just broken in at 200K miles. If you get over near Atlanta sometime give me a shout and I'll try and meet you (work schedule permitting) to compare notes and rides.
Remember, No matter where you go...There you are!

Here is where I have ridden my 1984 GL1200I
I completed the lower 48 states in August 2009, riding the whole way with my Dad

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#11 07-26-2011, 01:13 AM,
Sounds great! It's always a good idea to have a goal in mind when riding. Some friends of mine are doing the trail of tears coming up soon. I'm trying to determine if the old gal will be ready to go. I may only do part of the leg if I can determine I'll make it 1/2 way to where I go and can come back.

I just wish I understood how much I can rely on her. So far, it seems drive about 200 hundred miles, tweak something, 200 tweak... though I do believe I'm getting further without tweaking (I must be loving on it the right amount); but, now I need tires, again. This last set didn't seem to last that long, maybe I got the wrong brand. B-( Thanks for the 'hello'. Cheers.
#12 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM,