Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
New member, old rider from Kansas City
I just picked up a 1984 Interstate that is absolutely perfect and looks like a new bike. I bought it from the original owner who, at 79, has decided it's time to quit riding. It only has 25K miles but has not been setting around going to heck. It runs great, the brakes are good and all fluids are clean. This guy really babied his bike! I'll post some photos in the gallery soon.

I've been riding for almost 40 years and I've owned six Goldwings... I have a 2004 Gl1800 with 14K miles that I'm going to be selling now that I found this wonderful 1200. I'm glad I found this site, I look forward to getting to know some other classic owners!
#1 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM,
Come on in and sit a spell. Glad to have you.
#2 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM,
A big welcome from Sunny Southern California.
I too have an '84 Interstate which was babied by the Original Owner who rode his past his 80th BD before getting sick and never recovering.
His Son kept his Dad's bike, unused, for two years before the Son's GF convinced him it was time to let it go.
Original Owner put 104K miles on the bike, I have put 10K and just finished a head gasket replacement (she had minor, minor leaking into the cylinders and oil in the radiator overflow tank)
She still looks good after all those miles, but she aint no beauty queen. She and I commute, 300 miles a week with more casual riding on the weekend.

Read about the upgrades to the stator plug, starter solenoid and if not already, add a volt or ammeter. Over charging (boiling over) and undercharging the batteries on these bike is a common occurrence. Save the electrical and do the upgrades. If you have a wet battery, make sure the overflow tube is on the batteries overflow nipple good and tight and route a overflow tube down, through and have it exit BELOW the exhaust. Permanently staining the mufflers left heat shield is a common badge.

Welcome again. You have many, many, many, many miles of riding left in the bike. Enjoy them.

~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 08-10-2011, 12:06 PM,
Welcome from north central Ohio.... :lol:
#4 08-11-2011, 08:07 AM,
If your bike is sporting the badge of acid stains on the muffler cover, grab some tin foil crumple it and rub the offending area, it won't bring it back to new but will improve it.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 08-11-2011, 08:17 AM,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New owner from Kansas City, Mo mhogue3704 7 803 09-08-2012, 02:38 AM
Last Post: Sgt Dave
  New member in Kansas 15 1,600 03-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Newbie from Sin City 21 2,099 07-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Last Post: bs175dths