Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Hot and knocking
i went to get my 1200 interstate inspected today had to drive 25 miles to get there ran fine..but when i was going home it lost power and got hot.it started knocking a little i checked the oil and water when i got home all was fine.so is my water pump out or did it jump timing and if so do i need to replace timing belts? please help me
#1 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM,
Oil level was fine? How was the color of the oil? Did the oil smell burnt?
Water level was good? You checked both the radiator and the overflow tank? Was there any oil floating in either the radiator or the overflow tank?
Lost power as in giving it throttle and not going as fast as you expect, or lost electric power?
Got hot as in the coolant temperature was higher than usual or the engine/exhaust got hot?
Are your brakes dragging?
Is your clutch slipping when engaged, is it not disengaging completely at a stop?

After it had cooled, have you tried starting it? Does it still knock before reaching normal operating temperature?
Try doing an oil change. Maybe the filter is clogged.
If still knocking, maybe the damage is already done.
Where is it knocking? Left side, right side, front or rear cylinder? (I use a long screw driver as a stethoscope – (the handle goes to your ear NOT the blade!))
With some luck it won’t be knocking down by the crank but in one of the heads.
Try removing the spark plugs and hand cranking the engine (at the stator access hole) and see if you can find at what point in its rotation it is knocking)
To check the water pump, is there anything coming out of the weep hole? Is the weep hole clogged with debris so it can’t leak? Drain the coolant in a clean container so it can be reused if still good, and remove the lower radiator hose at the cover bolted to the front of the engine. The water pump is behind this cover. If you can spin the blades of the pump with your fingers, the pump is toast. If not, good!
Is there any oil in the coolant you removed from the cooling system?

Jumped timing belts will cause the problems you are experiencing. When was the last time the belts were changed? Can’t remember? Time to change them! They are easy but time consuming.

There are many things which can go wrong. The idea is to eliminate them as suspects and change out those parts, not to just jump in and start replacing parts.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 08-31-2011, 02:45 PM,