Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Member/Goldwing Owner
Just purchased a 1984 Aspencade and when I turn on the key, the radio makes an awful popping sound. Where do I look first?
#1 09-11-2011, 08:27 PM,
A good place to start would be to pull apart all the connections assosiated with your radio,speakers and check them for corrosion.Does the radio operate normally otherwise?
Moon
#2 09-12-2011, 06:20 AM,
welcome to the forum from the west coast, when I bought my first wing this spring someone told me of a contact cleaner called
"Nu-Trol" I had quite a few electrical issues and I got some of this, unpluged all the plugs at the frond end of the bike and sprayed contact cleaner in them and blew them out with an air nozzle,
put the plugs back together and resolved quite a few issues.

good luck and if I can help in any other way I would be happy to do so..
Johan
#3 09-12-2011, 09:31 AM,
Welcome from Baltimore Ontario. This a great place to be when you own a GL1200.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#4 09-12-2011, 05:42 PM,
Welcome from southern Calif.
Pull the radio out of the housing.....use the key/lock next to the clock for removal, and clean the contacts. Carefully widen the contacts so they create a firm connection.

I am sure, Tricky will have better advice soon.
#5 09-12-2011, 06:18 PM,
nbowlin Wrote:Just purchased a 1984 Aspencade and when I turn on the key, the radio makes an awful popping sound. Where do I look first?

What happens when the radio is turned off, and after the bike is running you turn the radio on?

Take the left pocket out, disconnect all the connections one at a time, check for any loose connections and possible corrosion.

Like the above post mentions, tighten up the connections at the back of the radio.

While you have the pocket out vacuum all the bugs out of there.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#6 09-12-2011, 06:58 PM,
nbowlin Wrote:Just purchased a 1984 Aspencade and when I turn on the key, the radio makes an awful popping sound. Where do I look first?
The noise is so awful that I haven't investigated further. Thanks for the info - I'll try your suggestions.
#7 09-13-2011, 05:08 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New owner, new member with some questions! RyanJA 3 1,330 03-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Last Post: 1060dsl