Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
New To Wings But Not To Bikes
As I said, not new to bikes but have been interested in Wings for the last couple months. Later.
#1 11-05-2011, 03:17 PM,
Do you have a wing now or are you looking to get one?
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 11-05-2011, 07:45 PM,
Hey bluewing I'm close to making a choice between an '82 Interstate or an '84 Aspy. Been checking out the NGW forum to get opinions on both. Your comments would also be appreciated, thanks. Later.
#3 11-05-2011, 08:39 PM,
Welcome from Anaheim,
Good luck in your search. Both are fine machines but the 1200 is a little more refined.
#4 11-05-2011, 09:18 PM,
I had an 83 GL1100 and liked it but I do like my 1200 aspy a lot better. Like wildwing said, the 1200 is more refined. I find the 1200 has more pep and seems to handle better, it would be my choice as long it is in good shape and the price is reasonable. This forum can help you with any questions to do with a 1200, the members here are very good at helping out. Just about everything you need to do on a 1200 has been talked about on this site. Please keep us informed, if you have any questions before you buy just ask.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#5 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM,
Welcome from Michigan.... :d
Ride to Live... Live to Ride....
#6 11-06-2011, 12:00 AM,
Honestly I was never interested in Gold wings until a couple of years ago when the wife simply could not do long distance rides as a passenger on something less than a full tour bike. Up until then I had no interest in windshields, fairings etc. Once her disablitly came thru we used a bit of it to pick up the 85 ltd we have now. And within a week took a trip from ky to tenn to the smokies.
By the time I had gotten back from that trip I was sold on the wing. I wasnt beat up and wore out from hours on the interstate holding onto the handlebars fighting the wind, my back and butt werent sore, the wife was in total comfort. :YMHUG:
Now other than running around locally on the wifes Intruder just for a change of pace I really wouldnt consider buying anything but a 1200 wing or if I had the money which I dont perhaps a HD Ultra Classic. Ive ridden both, two entirely different bikes.
Since then weve made numerous trips to Houston Texas from NE ky, one that we rode 1156 miles straight thru. At my age I would never be able to cover more than about 500 a day on a naked bike or even one with a shield.
You cant really go wrong on the 1200 and this site is your friend believe me if you get one.
Itll run twistys with about anything on the road, nothing is going to get up and run away from you most times its the reverse and the thing will run around the clock at 75 or 80 mph and not breathe hard doing it. Or beat you to death either. Can you spend a lot more money on some other touring bike than the 1200? Yep in a heartbeat. Can you get a lot more bike even new?
Nope. For a hard core Harley naked bike type guy the wing sure changed MY thinkin :lol:
Welcome from KY
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#7 11-06-2011, 01:52 AM,
Welcome from West Coast Canada.
when I was looking for mine I took both for a test ride, an 1100 and a 1200.
I also own a 1200 LTD and I absolute love the bike, had to do some work to it over the summer and this site is definitely the place to be.
I am not sure if I would have felt comfortable tearing my bike down as far as I did to do the work,
the guys here have so much knowledge and they are happy to help..
now I am not afraid to tackle any repairs I might need to do and if I need some help then I know where to find it..
Johan
#8 11-06-2011, 04:56 AM,
Thanks for the insight guys. Later.
#9 11-06-2011, 12:47 PM,