Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much needed shock replacement finished
This ended up being a bigger deal that I expected - not the least of which was due to dismantling the baggage of the 'wing. I've done shocks on bikes many times, but never on a Goldwing. What a project! Anyway, the PO had installed GL1500 units (sprung left) air right and the air shock blew a seal (badly). I didn't realize how bad it was until I got it out. Nothing left at all!! Could extend and retract it by hand with almost no effort. The only hiccup was a sleeve needed for the left side stockers. (I had to rob a sleeve off my currently down ZL900 to finish).

I installed an extremely well-preserved stock pair I found on ebay.

Did rear brake pads while I was in there. They had a little life left, but I figured I'd pop them out while I was there.

Took a 50 mile ride yesterday afternoon and was well pleased with the difference. As I mentioned, I didn't realize just how bad the others had become.

Merry Christmas everyone!
----------------------------------------------------------
'84 Aspencade, '94 Vmax
#1 12-24-2011, 01:14 PM,
I agree totally with you there. Mine were worn out so I found a decent pair on CL that I drained and refilled with new fluid. Even that made a difference. I plan on rebuilding the ones I took off and putting back on in the spring. UGH...... I am not looking forward to all that C$^#@ that has to be removed.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#2 12-24-2011, 03:17 PM,
Good deal with your shocks. You really don't realize how bad shocks are until you replace them. They wear out SLOWLY and over time. You just get used to how the bike handles. Then you put on a new set and, WOW. I learned to just replace them every 30k miles. I've never owned a bike that came new, with rebuildable shocks. I always replace OEM's with a rebuildable aftermarket, then at 30k, send them in to get re-done.
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#3 12-24-2011, 06:59 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacement shock boots Frank 7 3,260 10-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Last Post: wildhorse