Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
sei - fuel injection - anyone know this subject?
hi all...i'm newbee from michigan. this week i purchased non-running sei. i've ordered manual ebay. nothing in fuel injection has power. no lites ECU, fuel pump don't operate. bike turns over and that's about it.
anyone experienced in this subject? don't know where to start. help
#1 12-06-2011, 03:40 AM,
Welcome to the site

I have the 85 LTD
basicly the same bike with Fuel Injection.
this might be a stupid question but I have a good reason for asking, is the kill switch on the right handlebar switch to run?
here is why I ask this question.
when I pulled my engine out this summer to change the stator and when I reinstalled the engine I must have hit the switch to "off" position, the motor will turn over but the Fuel pump will not pump with that switch in the off position.
don't do what I did, waste a whole day looking for the problem before you check the kill switch. lol.
funny now but frustrating at the time..

if the switch is in the "run" position then check the plug for the fuel pump to see if you are getting power.
the plug for the fuel pump is located under the seat..

I'll be happy to help any way I can.. good luck and I'll keep checking to see how you make out..
Johan
#2 12-06-2011, 03:57 AM,
also check the condition of the secondary 30 amp dogbone which provides power to the cfi system,it is located behind the solenoid and tailight sensor,looks like a little 1 1/2" rectangular black box,no power there,no fuel

when the key is turned on do you hear the injectors click?
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 12-06-2011, 11:22 AM,
Thanks firstwing, i was goin to check out kill switch tonite, i was thinking of that too.
Thanks neo-don't know where solenoid and tailight sensor is. but there's 2 blk. relays on fuse block that i switched, same result. i also switched around all 5 relays on fuse block...same result, although i do have 2 dead fuses-crn lite and park lites.
i have checked main fuse & sub fuse to rear of battery a double 30 amp and power comming out of both. don't here injectors click. i would think that getting lites on ECU would be a must.
#4 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM,
when you are checking the fuses etc are you just visibly checking or actually with a voltmeter or 12v testlight
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 12-06-2011, 02:46 PM,
test lite. no power in or out those 2 fuses.
thanks,
rob
#6 12-06-2011, 02:57 PM,
If you need a manual now Rob send me an email at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:goldwinger1984@yahoo.com">goldwinger1984@yahoo.com</a><!-- e --> The manual includes a complete diagnostic test procedure that you can follow to get the bike running.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#7 12-06-2011, 03:03 PM,
with key on both those fuses should have power, both fuses run thru and off several circuits,least of which power is supplied thru at least three different subconnectors,pull and clean the three main connectors off the fuseblock,and pm me an email adress and i'll send you some files that will help ya track down the problem,hopefully you have a yahoo or gmail acct that will accept large files
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 12-06-2011, 03:10 PM,
firstwing85 Wrote:Yes indeed brobbed: Welcome to the site

is the kill switch on the right handlebar switch to run?

I must have hit the switch to "off" position, the motor will turn over but the Fuel pump will not pump with that switch in the off position.
don't do what I did, waste a whole day looking for the problem before you check the kill switch. lol.
funny now but frustrating at the time..

I am soooo glad you posted this!

I've had two GL1000s and now the GL1200, and with EACH of them I drove myself nuts trying to find out why they wouldn't start. Each and every time it turned out to be the kill switch. :evil:

Somehow, each time I managed to accidentally move it into the OFF position. After driving myself nuts to find the problem ... which turns out to be simply the kill switch ... I feel REALLY stupid. This can happen while blindly grabbing the right handle bar from below while doing something with the tires or brakes below on the right side of the bike. A variation of this is when I'm crouching on the front left side of the bike and blindly reach up to grab the left side of the handle bar (where the air horn button is located). Then I accidentally squeeze the air horn button which 150 db loud surprise blast momentarily scares the crap out of me! @-) Confusedhock:

But now ...after Vic's earlier wise suggestion ^Smile^ to deliberately flip the kill switch to the OFF position before first starting up a cold engine for circulating oil throughout the system ... it never is OFF accidentally. That routine prevents a lot of problems.
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#9 12-07-2011, 08:59 AM,
Thanks everybody. wing is running! not to sure why, i think was fuel pump relay. i switched all relays then direct wire fuel pump, it started power was in plug so switched to computer power kept running.
now i'm lookin to buy a rear wheel collar, lost mine and "no longer available." so i'm waiting to put rear wheel on.
i still have no power in two fuses. #3 is 15A says = tail lite lumm/crn lites. the next is - 10A parking. no power in or out, both circuits are unpluggedcause bike apart, but can't understand why only those 2 fuses no power??
#10 12-13-2011, 02:29 PM,
big THANK YOU goes to vic for helping me out with the manuals.
#11 12-13-2011, 02:32 PM,
both fuses are associated with power coming from the secondary dogbone and connectors C1 and C3 coming from the fusebox

fuse# 3 gets its power from the secondary dogbone thru the tailight relay and C1 with the keyswitch on

fuse # 10 gets its power thru C3 and the secondary dogbone

ref: 85 ETM Power Distribution LTD
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#12 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM,
thanks neoracer...i take it the dogbone is the 2 bone shaped thingy in the main fuse next to battery, both bones checked out ok. so the break must be somewhere between bones and fuse. i notice you use the term c1, c3, etc..these must be plugs. the manuals use these references also, is there a pattern? is there a way to find c1 & c3? are they numbered? i notice sometimes the manual refers to red 3 or black 6, how does this system work?
#13 12-14-2011, 12:14 AM,