Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Advice on possibly buying 87 aspencade
Hi every one, I am new her. I presently own a 1981 Honda cb900c and had also a 82 cb750. I am hoping to buy a 87 aspencade that I went and had a first look at today. Looks pretty good, it has a sidecar, 50,000km or 30,000 miles. It hasn't run in a few years, the owner died so it just sat for 2-3 years. The bike doesn't run but turns over. Gas is a few years old so no hope unless I would drain it and put some new one. That probably means I would have to clean the carbs also. Good compression on the 2 cylinder I checked (can't really check the other 2 without taking stuff apart), the throttle is not moving much at all, seems seized??? never saw that before, rear break don't work (doesn't stop the bike from moving) when you press the pedal, their is vary little tension. Front brakes seem to be good. How do you check the compressor (for the suspension) if the bike doesn't run. I couldn't check the charging system obviously.

So what else should I check? The starting point was $3500 but with the few things I found, they came down t $2000. What do yo guys think? Why would the throttle not move?

Thanks for your help!
#1 03-03-2012, 04:11 PM,
A great deal with a little tweaking and if it's been kept inside. Sounds like it may need new throttle cable , brake master and/ or caliper rebuilt & all fluids changed. I had a throttle cable break once that tried to seize up. Try to get some oil down the cable tube and oil linkage. 30 or even 50k is low miles. Lots of other things to consider, but sounds good
87 1200A
85 LTD
81 1100
81 KZ1000
58 Harley
62 Allstate
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... M_sharview
If everything's coming you're way, you're in the wrong lane
#2 03-03-2012, 09:29 PM,
buying a non-running mc is a guess at best,carb rebuild at least with probably rebuilding the rear brake master cylinder and replacing all fluids and tires,throttle cables may need lubing or replacement,but maybe a carb rebuid would remedy that problem,then another if is the stator which until you can get it running there is no way to tell

welcome to the forum from mid md/pa area

whatever way you decide info is available on this site to help you thru it

you might want to inquire if the PO was a member of this or other forums and/or maybe find someone that has some history of the bike
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 03-03-2012, 09:32 PM,
If you can get the price down further, all the better. Not saying it's a bad deal, but, you will have some maintenance to do on it. If it sat for years with gas in it, then the tank has to be drained and possibly cleaned. Carbs will need some cleaning. The sticky throttle could be from sitting so long. Goldwings like to be ridden, not sitting. All the fluids in the bike will need changed. Sounds like the brakes will need some work. With a good battery you should be able to check the compressor. Motor doesn't have to be running. I would make sure the engine turns over before starting it. When they sit too long, the rings get stuck. No big issue though, if that happens you can spray some PB-blaster in the cylinders, let sit, and work them free. Put the bike on center stand and in 5th gear and turn the rear tire. That will show if the motor spins. How old are the tires? Need new ones, maybe? Check out this link for more items to pay close attention to on older goldwings. The 1200 is a great bike. If you get it for a good price and get the issues fixed, you'll love the bike.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldwingfacts.com/used1200.htm">http://www.goldwingfacts.com/used1200.htm</a><!-- m -->
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#4 03-03-2012, 09:39 PM,
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advices. If I buy the bike, wich manual should I get? Clymer, Honda or Haynes.

Thanks!
#5 03-04-2012, 12:31 AM,
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/Downloads.htm">http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/Downloads.htm</a><!-- m -->
87 1200A
85 LTD
81 1100
81 KZ1000
58 Harley
62 Allstate
#6 03-04-2012, 06:34 AM,
I would get all three. They all have their good and bad points. Sometimes you'll find small bits of info in one book that you won't find in the others. Between the manuals and the knowledge base on these forums you can accomplish any repairs on your bike. I have the Haynes and Honda and will get the clymers when I find a good deal on one.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#7 03-04-2012, 10:32 AM,
Are you doing the work or a shop?
Is there a shop in your area which works on bikes this old? Some don’t.
What is their hourly rate?
Do they have a good reputation?
Not to say you can’t do the work, that is what this forum is here for, in case you could use some assistance.
Just saying, bikes which have sat for long periods of time will require an investment of labor, patience, and parts.
Frustration can (and has) set in and one can lose faith. :YMPRAY:

What to look for, all previously mentioned responses, and mine.
Take the short list of parts and get prices for just the parts, battery, tires, plugs, air, oil, fuel filters, oil, dot 4 brake fluid (for the brakes and the clutch).
These prices for parts only will shed some light as to the $$ investment in parts alone, 2X parts $ could be the labor if a shop does the work.

Just playin’ devil’s advocate. :twisted:

Good Luck!

~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 03-05-2012, 01:45 PM,
whatever manuals you do acquire its also good to purchase an ETM(Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) for the mc pruchased

keep us informed as to whether you pruchase the mc or not
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#9 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM,
Hi guys, I decided to buy the bike. I am picking it up this Saturday. I might have somebody interested in buying the sidecar already. Yes, bs175dths, I will to the work myself. That's what I did on my 81 CB90C last year (valves, carbs...) also a guys at work (firefighter) is a mechanic and owned more then a 12 of bike in is life including a few wings said he will help a bit if need be.

Attached Files
.jpg   Goldwing1987 reduced.jpg (Size: 251.03 KB / Downloads: 351)
#10 03-08-2012, 05:48 PM,
Good Deal Discus,And Welcome
if its near as nice as it looks in picture you did great! I would have even been interested in side car for 1/2 what you paid. I'd enjoy painting & taking on and off. Not sure I'd want on all the time, but would be useful at times.
I would think if you don't get in a rush and go through all proper maintence, fluid & fuel change battery etc. it should be fine. Its been my experience,other than a few quirks occasionally, these bikes are bullit proof and a true classic. :YMAPPLAUSE:
87 1200A
85 LTD
81 1100
81 KZ1000
58 Harley
62 Allstate
#11 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM,
Discus Wrote:Hi guys, I decided to buy the bike. I am picking it up this Saturday. I might have somebody interested in buying the sidecar already. Yes, bs175dths, I will to the work myself. That's what I did on my 81 CB90C last year (valves, carbs...) also a guys at work (firefighter) is a mechanic and owned more then a 12 of bike in is life including a few wings said he will help a bit if need be.
Saturday is a long time away, isn't it? :d It was for me when it came time to pick mine up. I couldn't wait to dive into my new toy. Welcome to the Wonderful World of Wings. I kept a log of the bikes needs, wants and desires which allowed me not to duplicate previous steps. Now that the bike is done (are they ever done??) I can go back and relive what it took to get the bike to it's present state. Tinker, tinker, tinker. I like to tinker.

-Ride On ~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#12 03-09-2012, 12:56 AM,
Hey hey :-J , just a few hour and it will be in my garage...

Have a great weekend everybody!
#13 03-10-2012, 10:01 AM,
Yey! It's in the garage... now I have to order parts and get busy.
#14 03-10-2012, 03:17 PM,
Please let me know if you want to sell the side car.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#15 03-10-2012, 03:20 PM,