Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
How many miles per tank.
How many miles can you get on one tank of gas?
#1 03-17-2012, 04:10 PM,
Depends on how full the tank is and how empty you let it go and how you drive and under what circumstances for example uphill or downhill, fully loaded or empty, wind in front or behind, drafting a truck or bus or out in the clear air. I'm guessing that an average approximate range for a full tank would be about 200 miles plus an extra 50 miles in reserve when the empty light comes on. The range will vary widely depending on the driver and the state of tune of the bike so you'll have to let us know how far you got on one tank of gas when you get out cruising. I once burned just about a full tank of gas in less than 50 miles because it was below freezing, the 50 mph headwind was directly in front of me (and scared the hell out of me because I could hardly keep the bike straight) and the engine would not warm up, I should have used cardboard on the radiator to block out the cold air, but, it was sunny, clear and only cool when I first started out. I was shocked that I had burned so much fuel in such a short trip that day, but, I got caught in a crazy storm and had to make it home that day. I never checked but I'm sure that raw gasoline was shooting out the tailpipes.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 03-17-2012, 04:49 PM,
The reason for this question is I am on my second tank of gas this year, and it seams like I am burning thru way more fuel than last year. I dont remember exactly what I averaged last year. When I put the bike away last fall, I filled the tank, and dumped some stabil in it. Would this have anything to do with the poor mileage this year?
#3 03-17-2012, 05:28 PM,
Old stale gasoline and Stabil do not make for top notch fuel effiency so yes it could contribute. Also, sticking brake calipers and low tire pressure will contribute as well. So how many miles are you getting per tank this year?

#4 03-17-2012, 05:52 PM,
Most of my driving is pretty close to the definition of highway driving. 74 miles round trip to work and back. 60 miles of that in top gear. I average about 42 MPG so I fill up about every 160-190 miles.

Hope this helps!

Jack
'86 Apencade SEi
#5 03-17-2012, 11:39 PM,
admin Wrote:... I once burned just about a full tank of gas in less than 50 miles because it was below freezing, the 50 mph headwind was directly in front of me (and scared the hell out of me because I could hardly keep the bike straight) and the engine would not warm up, I should have used cardboard on the radiator to block out the cold air, but, it was sunny, clear and only cool when I first started out. I was shocked that I had burned so much fuel in such a short trip that day, but, I got caught in a crazy storm and had to make it home that day. I never checked but I'm sure that raw gasoline was shooting out the tailpipes.

Something is wrong with you Smile.

Garages are made for such scenarios.

Jack
'86 Apencade SEi
#6 03-17-2012, 11:48 PM,
LOL, you don't know how much I was wishing that I was in my garage that day instead of on the road. :lol:

#7 03-18-2012, 01:51 AM,
I always started looking for gas at around 200 miles on the LTD....
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#8 03-18-2012, 03:01 PM,
Two up and touring, we get about 325-350 km per tank. That's 200-215 miles for our US friends.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#9 03-18-2012, 07:00 PM,