Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
White plugs & flat at 4000rpm
The bike is running nice and smooth after head gaskets and lots of other work, last problem is getting the carbs etc spot on. Starts and tickover great, pulls nicely until 4K rpm then is very flat although it will pull through and get to good speed, I've only done a few miles on new plugs and they are bright white, it ran the same before the work but the old plugs were light brown. I've put a new air filter in and emptied the breather bottle which was full of water, the airbox under the filter had water and bits of dirt in it which I cleaned out but cant get the airbox off as the 4 screws just spin and wont come out. I've tried the mixture screws which I've taken from 2 1/2 turns to 3 turns out on the rear carbs but the front ones are very tight and will hardly move.
Is my only option to remove and strip the carbs or is it worth trying any external fixes first as the bike runs so well other than the mixture and flat spot at high rpm..Also I have a tin of Seafoam (£20 in UK) but havn't put any in yet..I'm not scared to pull the carbs off but would sooner avoid it if possible as I'm long overdue riding the machine if possible..sorry if I've gone on a bit :-@
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#1 04-23-2012, 11:31 AM,
The term white plugs could be a red flag to me... Could be running lean or even coolant steamed with that description.

Have you synced the carbs?

You should adjust the mixture screws with purpose and guided by a tool. (carbtune is my choice) the fact that the front screws can't be adjusted gives me pause as well.
#2 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM,
I'm sure its not coolant, think the new head gaskets are good ,especially not all 4 pots leaking,its white colouring on the plugs, dont know if I could have disturbed something that is now letting too much air in. I did fit new o rings on the inlet manifolds.
I'm presuming if the mixture is weak on one carb then that would be white and the others darker colours..I had adjusted the tickover screw from 850rpm to 1000rpm to get more volts when standing still.
Also I inadvertantly fitted the DPR7 plugs which are for hotter running in cold conditions, maybe I should refit the 8's if that can make a difference.
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#3 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM,
i'd first go back to the standard heatrange plug as that will effect how plugs "read",the idle jets affect low speed operation so your problem at 4k rpm is in the high speed circuit of the carb i would think,hopefully someone with better knowledge of gl carbs will chime in shortly
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 04-24-2012, 04:53 AM,
Glad to hear that the Wing is up and running Charlie! First have a look at "ALL" of the vacuum hoses. When you lifted the carbs to do the gaskets, a hose may have loosened up or cracked while moving the whole unit around. Also double check your work. Make sure all of the intake pipes are torqued and all the carb hardware is tight. You also said that the screws for the air box / plenum were stripped. You should also take a good look at that and repair it. It's possible that the seal between the two has been compromised allowing more air into the system. Drain the carbs into a clean container and see if there is any trash in the float bowls. Let us know what you find.
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#5 04-24-2012, 02:17 PM,
Thanks, will go through those at the weekend, there is a fair chance I have a fixable air leak and also water and gunge in the carbs after the coolant getting in everything before,will put new fuel filter in and the old plugs too and hope its my lucky day for an easy fix.
Cheers...Charlie
#6 04-24-2012, 11:35 PM,
I decided to pull the carbs. The air filter housing wouldn't come off with the screws and thread studs spinning in the plastic, drilled and forced them out. The plastic plenum cover had all the screws rounded and the plastic was warped/deformed so I straightened it as best I could with a heat gun and siliconed round the edge to make sure it was sealed. Diaphragms all looked good, as did the floats and levels. Jets and float bowls had brown crap in, but not a huge amount. Soaked everything in seafoam and blasted with carb cleaner over a day or two, blew airline through everything and refitted..IT GOES LIKE A SCALDED CAT NOW :d
Only remaining problem on the carbs is the front right mixture screw has no head on it so I'll have to hope it is in a good enough place to set the others around it, I dont know how to get it out easily?
Cheers...Charlie
#7 05-03-2012, 11:36 AM,