Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Gas smell and some backfire
as of late I have been smelling GAS but not all the time and it will backfire on a hot restart after say stopping for gas or a smoke break .
any suggestions , i have not seen any leaks or wet spots at all.

Thanks for any suggestions
Tony
86 Interstate
#1 06-23-2012, 08:17 PM,
Backfiring through the exhaust or intake?
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#2 06-24-2012, 06:01 AM,
the gas smell may be some seepage from some old fuel lines are leaking but because of the hot weather evaporates,have you checked the air filter to make sure its installed tight on its base

a backfire usually results from incorrect timing
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 06-24-2012, 06:11 AM,
It's backfiring in the the pipes not the intake, it's sounds as if it's on the right side, like gas is pooling in the pipe, going to have brakes and front tire installed this Tuesday will have my guy check all the old lines, I pulled the air filter it's clean and seated proper .
#4 06-24-2012, 06:51 AM,
a leaking gasket on the headers to mufflers or small pinholes in the pipes can cause the problem you have
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 06-24-2012, 07:42 AM,
Hey Tony.... If your smelling gas from time to time, and it's backfiring through the exhaust when hot, then there is several possibilities. First thing to do is pull the plugs. See if any of them are dark / fouled. This will tell you if any of the carbs are over-fueling, way out of synch, or have a sticky float. Might as well replace plugs while your at it. As NEO has said, a leaky exhaust will also amplify it.
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#6 06-24-2012, 01:48 PM,
OK , Thks for the Info I'll pull some plugs and see what they look like, and check the pipes for any leaks..

Thanks,
Tony
#7 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM,
Is there any seepage at the breather hole on the gas cap? Is there any seepage around the base of the gas cap?
If you have a vapor hose coming off the gas cap, make sure the hose is tight around its nipple,
Make sure the gas cap gasket is in good order.

Exhaust leaks will cause backfiring through the pipes, usually when getting off the throttle. Check for leaks and holes as suggested but also make sure and fasteners are tight as well.
You may also suspect the anti-after burn valve or the slow air cut-off valve. Both are located under the carburetor assembly.
Eliminate the easy stuff first though.

Good Luck!
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM,
Well all the gaskets and hoses seam to be good , but i did discover and bad gasket on my Right side rear Carb ! I talked to the Mech that's going to do the Front Tire and brakes and it will be replace tomorrow , I did change the spark plugs today, I'm in Idaho visiting my Brother and i live in South Carolina and he thinks that the altitude has something to do with it since I live at 90 feet above sea level and I'm riding at around 6000 feet+ or -, but thanks for all the suggestion and helpful hints, you guys rock and I love my WING !!!!

Thanks
Tony
86 Interstate
#9 06-25-2012, 06:08 PM,
Good luck with it and enjoy the ride home!
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#10 06-26-2012, 04:14 AM,
Altitude - my wife and I went on a cruise from California to Mexico for our 10th Wedding Anniversary, back in 1995.
As we approached our first port, I overheard another passenger ask a steward, 'What is our current elevation?'
And the steward answered, 'Sea level.' At which point the passenger thanked him and went on their merry way.

Sad isn't it?

~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#11 06-26-2012, 01:40 PM,
All of the rivers and lakes upstream of the ocean are at higher elevations than the ocean so maybe it could have been a relevant question depending on the exact location in the water.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#12 06-26-2012, 04:36 PM,
Well guys still smell of gas from time to time guess i need to find a good CARB man when I get back east, I did check and change all the the spark plugs they looked really good and cant find any leaks in the pipes either, so guess the next step is the Carbs might have a sticking float or something, thanks for all the help, this is an awesome site..

Thanks
Tony
#13 07-13-2012, 10:29 AM,