Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After driving in heavy rain GW is running badly:
My pump was replaced a bit ago but only after it started to make a clicking sound, then started to weep a little fuel where the electrical went into the body.
I naturally assumed (I know, I know) my relay was good and the pump was bad.

Good Luck
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#16 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM,
bs175dths Wrote:
Wild Horse Wrote:How would I test the relay?
You can bench test the pump to test its function.

To test the relay I would think you could unplug the electrical at the pump and attach a test light.
Turn the ignition on and if the light glows, the relay is good.

When checking the relay you must understand that the fuel pump only receives power from the relay after a spark plug fires. Think of it as a shot of fuel after every combustion cycle, so, you will need to crank the engine to determine if the relay is supplying power to the fuel pump, otherwise, you may get a false "no power reading" with just the ignition turned on, but, with the engine cranking and the kill switch in the run position you will get an off and on reading which is correct.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#17 07-26-2012, 08:15 PM,
Thank you Admin.. The false reading would have driven me nuts!
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#18 07-26-2012, 09:45 PM,
Test completed, Relay is good. Bike started right up once I disconnected the fuel pump!
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#19 07-27-2012, 01:50 PM,
garyft Wrote:After the wire/nylon line/whatever you use comes out the bottom of the head, it hits the exhaust pipe. The end result is that although it feels like it isn't going through, it probably is.

Thanks! I wondered what it could be.

I talked with a longtime local Goldwing owner a couple of days ago and I related my story about the heavy rain and horrible misfiring/no power episode. I told him about the Forum and the suggestion of the stopped up holes in the sparkplug recesses and he was impressed. He has owned for a long time but this was the first time he had heard of the drain holes so he thanked me for passing on the forum's knowledge.

DC
#20 07-28-2012, 09:01 AM,