Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pine-Sol..... Carb Cleaner??
I found a thread on another forum that used Pine-Sol as a carb cleaner.... Soo.. I gave it a shot, WOW... They came out fantastic.. Here's the link to the thread.... Best part is, it's safe on all the rubber parts!!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117">http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117</a><!-- m -->
I Get Enuff Exercise Just Pushing My Luck
#1 10-10-2012, 04:34 PM,
That's cool, plus it would make your bike smell like a Christmas tree for a while. Might be nice to do the carbs around Christmas. And the nicest part is not having to use that awful smelling and very toxic carb cleaner. I'd be willing to try it once and see what happens.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM,
I've been using Pine Sol to clean carbs for years now. I've written several tech articles on cleaning DOHC 4 cylinder carbs with it. It is totally safe to rubber and plastics so a complete breakdown is not necessary. It is water soluble so when you take the bank out of the cleaner a good washing with water and a through blow dry is all that is required. Usually 24 hours soaking is all that is required, at the end of that time wash them off, if they need more cleaning then drop them back in for a few more hours. The only problems that I have ever run into is someone leaving them in for too long then any steel parts on the bank will start to rust since Pine Sol is water based. After cleaning I pour the cleaner back into the bottles and store it for the next bank. It works great.
Before
[Image: 1981CB750K027.jpg]
Cleaning
[Image: 1981CB750K055.jpg]
After
[Image: 1981CB750K066.jpg]
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#3 10-10-2012, 05:37 PM,
excellent post and pics too
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 10-12-2012, 03:55 PM,
I will be doing a complete carb overhaul this winter, I think I will give the pine sol a try. Thanks guys for the tip!!!!
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#5 10-13-2012, 03:41 AM,
Geez people I almost blew a mouse clicking finger getting to this post! Wheew! You aren't dumping it in your fuel tank after all!! :d :d :d

Thanks for the great tip thebronze13 & Frank for the pics.

#6 10-13-2012, 06:41 AM,
I can't really take the credit for it. I too had ran across it somewhere (I really don't recall), I just took it that extra step by taking the risk of trying it and photo documenting it. It is a tried and true method used countless times by people I come in contact with.

Of course the more stuff that you can remove so that the Pine Sol can get in to do it's thing the better your results. It will freeze so don't leave it where it can. Don't leave your parts in it for any longer than necessary (a couple of days, max). Wash, wash, wash, blow, blow, blow. It will remove all the protective coating from aluminum and steel so a light coating of oil when the parts are dry is recommended. It won't dissolve everything, calcium, lime and other minerals so after soaking I recommend that you take some old guitar strings and run through all the passages followed by BRAKE cleaner (not carb cleaner!). Use the straw to flush out all the tough stuff from the little holes (wear safety glasses!!!!) It will seriously dry out your hands so wear gloves if you have sensitive skin. I've never seen it have any effect to rubber or plastic. The brake cleaner will soften rubber so don't soak parts in it!!!! I keep a bottle of technical glycerin (available at most drug stores) to brush or soak my rubber pieces in. I use a q-tip chucked into a drill with some Brasso, toothpaste or baking soda paste to polish out float valve seats. I almost never buy any new gaskets, instead I will brush on a THIN coat of Three Bond 1194 to the gasket face. It is not effected by petroleum based products and the part can still be removed later if required.
#7 10-13-2012, 07:54 AM,
Don't know what I did wrong. Used the Pine-sol and the bike stalled a couple minutes later.

Ha. I kill me!!!
#8 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM,
When using Pine-Sol in the gas tank, be sure you have installed the new Ronsonal Butane spark plugs... Pine-Sol will not ignite on an electrical spark.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#9 10-13-2012, 01:40 PM,
Now, I just want clarity.....
Which Pine Sol do I use in the gas tank?
Is it recommended to use the store brand of Pine Sol or do I need to use the name brand?
How much do I mix per gallon of gas?

I see here too, I need to change spark plugs as well. Will 2-stroke plugs from an old Kawasaki Triple work? I have several sets from an H2 I once owned.

I have also read on the Internet that filling the tires with water instead of air yeilds better gas mileage because of the additional rolling mass while coasting in neutral.
Has anyone documented this????? Or are they all dead?

FOLKS - JUST KIDDING!!!!
DO NOT TRY ANY OF THESE SUGGESTIONS!!!!
This is a joke.
This is a joke.
This is a joke.
This is a joke.

:YMALIEN:
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#10 10-16-2012, 09:39 AM,
Ended up chickening out and doing it the old fashioned way, but on the other hand my baby runs like new!
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#11 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM,
Frank reading this I see you bring out the best in people wherever you go. It was on the straight and narrow until you posted then the jokers came out to play. If it ends with sheep and midgets I will know for sure it is your bad influence.
I learned the pine sol carb cleaning from Frank plus a whole lot of other stuff, good and bad. Thanks Frank
1987 Interstate
#12 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM,
Just goes to show that you can run from your past but you can't hide. Oh well, I had em fooled for awhile. And by the way those charges were never proved!
#13 03-04-2013, 09:14 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carb Cleaner The Hawk 19 6,345 05-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Last Post: silverfoxwing
  Seafoam Carb & Fuel System Cleaner Ranch55 7 2,920 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Last Post: catman