Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Had to get the bike towed...
Need help diagnosing this problem...

So Friday before Sandy, I was driving home from work and stopped to get gas since the fuel level was VERY LOW. At the end of the fueling process, the tank was VERY FULL - so full that when I put the cap back on, some gas spilled out into the drip tray. However, when I tried to start it, it initially roared to life and then died. Thinking I just hadn't given it enough throttle at the start, I tried it again - engine turned over well, but no ignition. Put the choke on and it started right up.

In less than 2 miles, the bike stalled in the middle of the road. I was able to get over to the side of the road through a combination of brief re-starts and inertia; during this time, I heard it backfire once. Once on the side of the road, I tried to re-start multiple times: when the engine did catch, it would run strong for a while (10 - 15 seconds) and then die suddenly. So I called the roadside assistance and had it towed to the nearest dealer. While waiting for the tow, I opened the gas cap and looked at the fuel level. It had gone down significantly. Bike also started right up and it seemed like it would run.

I was originally thinking I had bad gas since all the problems started after filling it up. This was a brand new station that opened up - new pumps and everything. Also, there was a problem getting the pump to start after I swiped my card.

Another possibility is that I put a vacuum lock on the tank and could not get the fuel to flow. However, this is not the first time that I have "overfilled" and never had this problem.

The bike has been at the dealer since 10-26...Sandy took up too much of my time. Now that things are settling out, I need to figure out what is going on. Does anyone have any suggestions?

- Pete
#1 11-06-2012, 06:03 PM,
It sounds to me like your fuel pump has gone out. Had the same thing happened to me a couple months ago (minus road service).

Mother Honda still produces our pumps, cost is around 135 delivered (to the US).

Significant fuel loss from the tank could be an open fuel pump that allowed the fuel to drain into the carbs rather than rationing the fuel
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#2 11-06-2012, 08:58 PM,
its not the fuel pump that might be bad,often if the tank is filled over half and the fuel pump relay isn't supplying power to the pump,the bike will start and run from gravity flow thru the pump until you run the bike faster than the gravity feed can supply.once the gravity feed fills the carbs again the bike will start

its possible to bypass the fuel pump relay to check if the pump still works

this is assuming that your mc is a carbed model

supply us with a year and model,since its no longer shown
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 11-07-2012, 01:59 AM,
It is a 1985 GL1200A. And it is carbed.
#4 11-07-2012, 06:46 PM,