GL1200 GOLDWINGS
CB Help - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: RADIO, CB, SOUND SYSTEM (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: CB Help (/showthread.php?tid=6479)

Pages: 1 2

CB Help - mtnsurgtech - 01-12-2010

1985 GL1200 Aspy. I'm trying to figure out why i can't hear anything from my CB. I have had/used cb's before so i can trouble shoot to an extent. It has power. The channel changer works. Lights in unit work etc. When I turn on the CB I get nothing thru the dash speakers or headset. When I squelch it all the way down the RX sign illuminates so I have to think its recieving. When I hit the transmit button the TX sign illuminates so again I have to assume it working. Obviously the fuses are working or I wouldn't have power etc. So first question how do I get the CB componets out. WHen I look at the cb unit (that whole plate) there are four little odd looking things, one in each corner. Are these screws? Do I have to take the unit out to get to the wires that send the sound to the radio? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: CB Help - neoracer - 01-12-2010

pm sent,the four screws will allow the unit to start sliding out of the fairing

have you tried turning the mute switch down on the radio and or tried changing channels to maybe find a cb channel that does have some reception

Re: CB Help - scott - 01-13-2010

CB's are actually going by the wayside aren't they, or do you prefer to communicate with your travelling buddies that way? I have 2 HONDALINE CB"S in mint cond. avail. if you want, ,, I have two of them that <!-- e --><a href="mailto:do..contact.caddifam@hotmail.com">do..contact.caddifam@hotmail.com</a><!-- e --> I never use mine for some reason, althoughthey do 8) 8) 8) 8) work $100 sound good?

Re: CB Help - mtnsurgtech - 01-13-2010

Thanks Earl I sent you a PM. Scott if I can't fix mine I think I will take you up on that. I'm not a big CB user anymore but I am planning to ride from NC to Idaho this summer by myself and thought when I got tired of music I might like just listening to that lol

Re: CB Help - wpgfire - 01-13-2010

I've had a problem like that twice with the CB in my truck. Each time it turned out to be a problem with the mike not making a proper connection. Once it was at the plug in on the back of the unit needing some contact cleaner spray and the other time a wire right at the hand held end had broken.

The CB on my '97 is the first I've had on a motorcycle. Bringing the bike home from Georgia the CB came in handy to get road updates from oncoming truckers and I even spent an hour talking to a trucker heading in the same direction in the upper peninsula of Michigan. It's changed my mind about the need for a CB on a bike. Rigged up a cheap CB to my son's bike for a trip to the Black Hills in October and was glad I did.

Though technology is leaving it behind, the CB is still an inexpensive and universal way to communicate with fellow riders and complete strangers you encounter on the road. Saved me a few speeding tickets, too.

Re: CB Help - Guest - 01-14-2010

I just purchased a 1987 Apsencade, without the CB, and am looking to buy one and add it.

Oh yes, hello to everyone, I just registered, and don't want to just be a lurker, but I do have a lot of reading ahead of me.

I have a question, my bike has a volt meter/temperature gauge where the CB goes, does this add any problem to adding a CB, or is it just a simple swap? I've had a look at the instructions, but it doesn't say anything about this meter.

I am upgrading from the 1100 wing, and do all my own work, which was quite a bit to keep the old 1100 up and running. I have a long trip planned for the summer, and my wife has a CB on her bike, so I need to get mine up and running before then. I added a CB that was designed for the Valkerye to the 1100, but am thinking that if I can, I would want to add the stock one to this bike.

So I read above a member that might have one for sale, I emailed him, but haven't hear back yet, if anyone else can help, including suggestions, that would be fantastic.

David

Re: CB Help - SIR tricky - 01-14-2010

There are several things you would need to install the Stock CB
I would possibly suggest visiting Sierra.com and have a look at their options

Re: CB Help - Guest - 02-08-2010

My 85 LTD has a CB that no longer works. But I want to get rid of it and put somethng eles in it's spot will this hurt the $$$ value of my bike? Should I just repair it and never use it? CBs are old tech. I use a cell phone like most of my friends do. Any feed back will help.

Re: CB Help - SIR tricky - 02-08-2010

sparkwing Wrote:My 85 LTD has a CB that no longer works. But I want to get rid of it and put somethng eles in it's spot will this hurt the $$$ value of my bike? Should I just repair it and never use it? CBs are old tech. I use a cell phone like most of my friends do. Any feed back will help.

Please put your location in your profile.

You risk being banned from the forum.

Thats going to depend on if the next buyer wants the contraption you install there.

You can remove it, it was an option when the bike was new.

I use my CB along with all the riders I ride with, obviously yours don't

My Cell phone stays in the handy trunk that Honda made for things like that Smile

Re: CB Help - Guest - 02-09-2010

I'm with Tricky about the cell in the trunk. I considered a bluetooth setup so i could talk and ride, then decided that the fewer distractions i have on the bike the better. I do like having the CB when i group ride and sometimes on a long solo but i don't usually turn it on. It is nice to have for road condition reports and traffic problems on the slab.
Usually when we're two up the wife provides all the conversation I can handle. :-@

Re: CB Help - SIR tricky - 02-09-2010

After reading an email I received, I got to thinking.

Sure our CB's are low tech so to speak but I might be out in left field on this thing.

Take this scenario:

Myself and for arguments sake there are maybe 8 other bikes in the group, with my low tech CB with a push of a button I can pass my thoughts to anyone in the group who has a CB.

Like I said my cell resides in the trunk, but for arguments sake I have spent hundreds of $ to have it integrated into my sound system, likewise all my traveling friends.. explain to me, do I push a single PTT button to talk to my buddies with my cell phone or do I need to remember all their numbers or if they are in the cell phone "phone book" look up their name and let it dial....

BTW this call was just to tell the lead guy he had passed our planned turn off :YMPEACE: :YMPEACE:

My Dad alwasys told me that half of knowing is knowing who knows. I think I found who knows thanks for the info. I will repair the CB and keep it handy you never know I might get to chat with both of you sometime.

Re: CB Help - SIR tricky - 02-09-2010

There are lots who travel in your area, Even I was down Georgia way Sept 2008 for the Steve Saunders Nassir.. That was in Calhoun.

You never know who you will meet on the road besides I never met a winger I didnt like.

BTW if this bike is new to you there might not be anything wrong with the CB other than some lose connections, it is 25 years old after all.

I'm having a similar issue with my CB. I don'y care about old school and I have yet to own a cell phone but I sure would like it if I could get this cb working.

Re: CB Help - admin - 02-09-2010

You won't find a better guy to help you with info about that CB than Tricky.