GL1200 GOLDWINGS
coolant temperature sensor - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: COOLING SYSTEM (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: coolant temperature sensor (/showthread.php?tid=649)

Pages: 1 2 3

coolant temperature sensor - SIR tricky - 05-23-2007

I do believe my coolant temperature sensor is going or has failed.

Normally my temperature gauge (85 aspy) shows 4 bars, hot weather and stop and go traffic it would raise to 5-6 bars and the fan would kick in.

It seems to stick at (not all the time) 3 bars, and the fan kicks in, in fact had a boil over today.

But after a coffee it ran 20+ K home without the fan kicking in but the gauge never read over 3 bars.

Is there an after market sensor?

I am going to do the tests on it later but maybe at 200,000k it's given up the ghost.

The fan switch seems to work fine but will test the temperature at which it switches on.

- admin - 05-23-2007

Tricky, I wonder if perhaps if there is something obstructing the heat transfer to the sensor, a foreign object, sediment build up, corrosion, maybe a light and careful cleaning of the sensor bulb might help it work better until you locate a newer unit.

You might also want to consider this as a good time to give your cooling system a thourough chemical flush and rinse along with new coolant.

On another note, since you mentioned boil over, I just installed NPG+ waterless coolant in my Wing last week and it was really interesting to see my temp gauge in the full up red hot zone (intentional) with the rad cap off and the coolant wasn't even steaming out the top of the rad even as I revved the engine. Water boils at 212 degrees and this stuff boils at 375 degrees so boil overs are essentially eliminated plus no water is used in the cooling system so that means no rust. There are other benefits but I'll go into that later.

- SIR tricky - 05-23-2007

I did test both the temperature switch, it closed at the right temperature. I figured as much since the fan came on OK.
The test I ran on the sensor although the ohm reading was lowering as the heat increased it never did read correctly.
This leads me to thinking the sensor isnt working properly, giving the gauge mis information possibly why the gauge is only showing 3 bars instead of its usual 4 or even 5 on a day as hot as today and riding in town. As soon as I got on the highway it ran fine but the gauge wasnt correct.

I shall try the Honda dealer in Hamilton tomorrow and order a new one anyway, they dont cost a lot.

- admin - 05-23-2007

Don't forget that a coolant flow problem can also cause a sensor to misread so you might want to check your thermostat and waterpump for adequate flow.

- SIR tricky - 05-24-2007

The tests were done as per manual with sensor removed and tested in oil over a burner.

As the sensor heated up the ohm values reduced but never gave me the correct reading at each raise in temperature. This would in effect show up in the temperature gauge as a low reading which it is doing.

I plan on changing the rad cap, it's never been changed, and for the cost and while its out I shall change the thermostat, thats only been changed once @ 100,000k.

The bad news is that the coolant temperature sensor is discontinued.

hmmmm.

I was giving me a partial reading, I guess its a new rad cap, thermostat and put the old one back on and maybe try that Evans coolant.

- admin - 05-24-2007

Don't give up so easily. Try Honda Direct Line, Old Bike Barn, Jim Venne, etc. and don't forget to check what I said about mid 80's Honda cars with digital gauges like the Accura etc.

Go for a ride to Madoc, Ontario to pick up the Evans Tricky. It cost me $18. to have it shipped to my place by Canpar which is usually very cheap.

I think I see what the problem is, confusing micro fiche's with conflicting numbers and obsolete parts. I talked to Hondaline today and after I looked at the bike a little closer I can see the problem.

I am putting new rad cap and thermostat.

How much flushing did you do when you put the Evans coolant in?

- admin - 05-24-2007

Well, don't keep me in suspense, what's the problem?

I went to Canadian Tire and bought a bottle of their best cooling system flush then I went home and 1 brought the bike to full operating temp, then 2 drained the cooling system with the rad cap off, installed drain plug, then I 3 filled the cooling system with hot tap water and ran the engine again until hot, then 4 drained it, then I installed plug and 5 poured in the entire contents of the rad flush bottle then filled the cooling system with hot water and ran the engine for about one half hour then I 6 drained flush and water then I installed the plug and 7 filled the cooling system with hot water to rinse all the flush out then I 8 used compressed air to blow any residual water out of the cooling system that might have been left over then I 9 poured in the Evans NPG+ and started the engine with the cooling fan fuse removed to see what would happen when the engine got overheated. 10 Nothing

Be careful when working on that hot engine Tricky, it's darn easy to scald yourself.

- SIR tricky - 05-25-2007

admin Wrote:Well, don't keep me in suspense, what's the problem?

Hope your ready for this.......

Two different micro fiche, two conflicting parts list.

Here is the diagram from the manual:
[Image: manualdiagram.jpg]

But before I looked at that I ventured here and looked at the parts list.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0202/thermostat/thermostat.cfm?man=ho&groupid=8510&parent=8500">http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0202/ ... arent=8500</a><!-- m -->

Looked at the parts list for coolant temperature sender (Item 9)

Got the number, took it to the Dealer in Hamilton and they said it was possibly a 4 week wait for it.

Then looked at the parts fiche from Hondaline, looked at their parts list, there isnt a number 9. Called them up and a guy called Drew said that if the number isnt on the parts list, it is unobtainable.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/cycleparts/Honda_OEM/HondaMC.asp?Type=13&A=33&B=9">http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... 3&A=33&B=9</a><!-- m -->

Now when I go and look at the engine again it isnt number 9, look at the diagram from the manual (above) number 9 doesnt exist.

It is (I think) number 11 ( Hondaline part fiche) however to make things even more confusing look at the price for the parts for item 11 (sending unit) which looks like part 10 and part 16 as a unit. Now look at the price for part 10.

I shall talk once again to the dealer in Hamilton and go armed with a print of my manual page.

EDIT

I just got of off the phone with Honda in Hamilton and the girl there (I talked to her yesterday, said that she thinks it is item 11 and that part is available and she is checking with Honda as to the availability.
(and price)

Looking closer Item 9 is on the LTD edition years 85 and 87

- admin - 05-25-2007

I should look up the part numbers in my listings. Would that help you?

I've got parts listing catalogs on my computer that have been accurate so far. You're welcome to copies if you'd like, I have two different versions if you want to cross check.

admin Wrote:I should look up the part numbers in my listings. Would that help you?

I've got parts listing catalogs on my computer that have been accurate so far. You're welcome to copies if you'd like, I have two different versions if you want to cross check.

Thanks anyway Vic, but I just got off the phone with Sturgess Honda in Hamilton and the girl said it was part number 11 and I have ordered it.

The price C$72 a bit stiff but Hondaline US is $40 plus shipping and they want me to purchase at least $75 US before they will ship anything I would still have to pay taxes on it and on any shipping charges so it probably is cheaper to buy it here .

- admin - 05-25-2007

Yes, that's the same one I show Tricky item 11, # 37510-371-008

It still doesn't explain the boil over. Are you going to modify your fan?

Probably try one of those 8 Perma cool models or similar.
It definitely doesnt explain the boil over, but also when I cannot trust the gauge to give me a true reading, something has to be done in that regard.

Probably go the Evans route as well.

After the boil over we had coffee then rode home without any problems. Had I had a true reading from the gauge I would have stopped the bike immediately because the fan was running, I couldnt hear it age related deafness I guess, which while showing only 3 bars it shouldnt have done.

- admin - 05-25-2007

When I used to have problems with overheating on my bike I would head for the highway to cool it, but, I knew what the problem was. Since then I have redesigned the fan shroud for a much tighter fit between the fan blade and haven't had a problem since but the Evans gives me peace of mind just in case. Gotta remember that my fan blade is 2 inches smaller in diameter than the stock Honda blade yet it still does the job just fine.