GL1200 GOLDWINGS
Work on your own - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: IF YOU JUST CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT FORUM IT BELONGS IN (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Work on your own (/showthread.php?tid=8161)

Pages: 1 2

Work on your own - BigDaddy12t - 04-17-2011

So how many of you do all your own work on your bike, and how many take it to the shop. Beings I am new to the wing, I dont know a whole lot about them, so I am one of thise who will take it to the shop.

Re: Work on your own - bluewing - 04-17-2011

I was lucky, when I got my 1200 it was the first GW I had ever owned so I didn't know much about them. I came across this site just about the time Vic started it, ever since then I have done all my own work because this site has all the information in it you will ever need, and a lot of great members to help you. There hasn't been anything I haven't been able to do on my bike with the help of this site and its members.

Re: Work on your own - BladeRunner - 04-17-2011

I like to do my own repairs/maintenance; For economic reasons and because it helps me to get to know my bikes. I would suggest you get a factory manual and give it a good read. You may be surprised how much you can do yourself, besides...if you get in a tight spot there are lots of people on these sites that have been there or know someone who has been there and can give you the answers you need. ^Smile^

Re: Work on your own - unionjack - 04-17-2011

I do as much of my own as I can, and that list gets longer every year as I learn more and more.

Re: Work on your own - neoracer - 04-17-2011

be prepared to learn how to do everything on your bike within reason,most of the information is available here on the site or thru easily obtained downloads or threads,most of us weren't motorcycle mechanics when we bought a wing but have learned from this and other sites,

if you have to depend on shops you will soon found that a 25 year old wing may be a liability which u can ill afford,unless the previous PO took excellent care of it,but most likely they didn't since they probably sold it to move to another model with less problems

once the "inbred" electrical problems of the 84-87 wings are taken care of you will find that we have no qualms thinking about taking a 2k trip as you would think about going to the store 10n miles away

you may be able to find a forum member close that can assist you or offer advise

Re: Work on your own - Keener - 04-17-2011

I'm getting better at doing my own work thanks to the members of this site and the Honda and Clymer manuals. I'm also very fortunate to have a couple of friends, one of whom is a Honda tech, who willingly help me with projects which I'm not ready to tackle.

Re: Work on your own - detdrbuzzard - 04-17-2011

i do all the work i can to all my bikes but some things i can't do so the bikes do make it to the shop for some work

Re: Work on your own - staijo - 04-17-2011

When I got the wing, shops were not an opion. Nobody wanted to touch a bike that old...

Funny thing is, times have gotten tougher and when I needed a tire replaced, a shop that said, we will not even let it in the door, gave me a price I could not refuse.

Funny thing, the economy...

But, I do most of the heavy lifting myself. I was going to pull the wheel myself and the shop said they would do it for less than most places charge just to mount the tire... SOLD....

Re: Work on your own - Roleketu - 04-18-2011

Only with the help from this site I've been able to do all my own work. Never would I ever attempted to do the projects I've done with out this site. I'm going on my third season with this 1200 Wing and each year I've tackled a different project/upgrade and happy I've done them. I have some mechanical skills, basic tools, and always purchasing more tools. Biggest thing I've learned from this site is when you get to a point where you're not sure or you broke something, sit back post about it and someone's been there/done that and has some advise. When I bought my 86 Aspy, I was on a married/children/divorced/child support hiatus that ironically started when Honda was just building the 1200's. I hadn't worked on a motorcycle since the late 70's. Here's a list of projects I've completed, and I know they were done right.

First year:
Electrical Connection upgrade to coil/stator power, hard wire stator.
Miscellaneous Chrome Bling
Trailer Hitch.

Second year:
Poorboy's external alternator conversion (by far the best ever upgrade)
Timing belts
Carburetor Sync
New front and rear Elite 3's (I uninstalled and installed the wheels, but had a shop change over the tires and install new wheel bearings and seals)
Various electrical add ons, lights and air horns now that I have all that electrical power.

This year:
Front Progressive springs, seals and bushings, rear Progressive shocks.
Spin on oil filter adapter
Rudy's Lid and Side cover keeper kits.

Re: Work on your own - PanMan75 - 04-18-2011

I too, would never have done any of the work I do on my bike without this site. Everyone here has definitely help tremendously. Not only have all the members here given me the "encouragement" to tear into my gl1200, but that has also lead me to having the confidence of an almost complete teardown of my wife's bike over the winter. Now when something doesn't seem right on her bike, she says, "Check that site you always looking at for working on your wing....." LOL As for taking to the shop, I will keep that for tire changes, and even then, only my wheels may be making it there......

Re: Work on your own - KnoxSwift - 04-18-2011

:YMHUG:
I do all work myself.
I started working on bikes on an old CB750 then moved on to a VT750 and now a GL1200. I've also worked on my brother line of Ducati's! LOL! He has a GT750, Monster 696 and Diavel.

I really really like working on the GL1200, not as hard as one thinks. It's intimidating because of all the stuff the bike has if you have an Interstate or Aspy. but still very do-able by the back yard mechanic.

Now those damn Ducati's are a PITA! I dislike working on those because they are very temperamental! Even the old GT is temperamental because you think the GL1200 carbs are complicated that GT is ridiculous...

Re: Work on your own - Bufallowing - 04-18-2011

Thanks to this site, nobody touches her, but me.

Re: Work on your own - bs175dths - 04-19-2011

The economy caused me to buy the bike.
‘Because I want to’ is the reason to work on the bike. Therapeutic for me.
(of course, the money saved is the icing on the cake.)
Buying the bike caused me to find this site.
This great site causes me to share my experiences.
It is a win-win-win-win-win situation.

-Ride On

Re: Work on your own - RodnStac - 04-19-2011

i was a automotive tech and a "gearhead" but got burned out,which ruined both,ran dirt bikes but always wanted a WING. so i got a 84 I.she needed work and as i worked on her i realized wrenching was fun again.i do all my repairs and mods.this site has been a huge saver & the people are very helpful if you ask.her name is matilda if ur interested

Re: Work on your own - admin - 04-19-2011

I've had a few, very trusted, individuals from this site help me fix my Wing but other than that I work on it exclusively.