Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Brakes wont release
Hey can I get some help for my GL1200I

My left front brake keeps locking up. The background is that I am rebuilding my old GL12ooI that I have taken with me around the world. I was in the process of rebuilding the brakes when I had to move from Alabama to California. I placed a block between the pads but it was still on the bike (wired up out of the way. Somewhere along the move the movers knocked the block out and when they were rolling off the van one of them grabbed the brake and pushed the pistons/pads together. Anyway I couldn't get the pads apart so I bought new (used) calipers off of ebay. I put them on no problem, bleed them, no problem, took it out for a test ride and they locked up. I bled them again and they released, but now they have locked up again. Any suggestions ???

Thanks in advance

Robert
Remember United Flight 93

They gave it all for their country, what about you ?????
#1 06-25-2007, 05:42 AM,
Make sure the brake master cylinder is clean maybe there is some dirt preventing the return flow of fluid back into the cylinder after the brake is released.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 06-25-2007, 06:29 AM,
I will be picking up a vacuum bleeder tonight on the way home and with luck will have them working tonight

Robert
Remember United Flight 93

They gave it all for their country, what about you ?????
#3 06-25-2007, 04:22 PM,
Robert, I am new to this forum but just resolved that same problem with my 86 ASP. In the master there should be a tiny hole (used a needle to open it up) above the large main hole in the base of the master, make shure this is open. I checked it by squirting brake cleaner with the tube installed and pressed in the hole. Please note that you have to dissasemble the master to do this.
Now would be a good time to rebuild it.

Wayne
86 Aspencade
#4 07-21-2007, 06:44 AM,
Wayne,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for making your first post HELPING someone with their problem.
#5 07-21-2007, 07:48 AM,
Just learning as I go, as help was affored to me so to shall I help when possible.
Please Also note that I rebuilt the caliper, master, AND replaced both front brake lines with stainless before finding this problem....But I now have all new front brakes!!!

Wayne
86 Aspencade
#6 07-21-2007, 07:54 AM,
Hello and welcome Wayne, terrific way to introduce yourself by helping out, way to go.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#7 07-21-2007, 08:14 AM,
ac7kh Wrote:Hey can I get some help for my GL1200I

My left front brake keeps locking up. The background is that I am rebuilding my old GL1200I that I have taken with me around the world. I was in the process of rebuilding the brakes when I had to move from Alabama to California. I placed a block between the pads but it was still on the bike (wired up out of the way. Somewhere along the move the movers knocked the block out and when they were rolling off the van one of them grabbed the brake and pushed the pistons/pads together. Anyway I couldn't get the pads apart so I bought new (used) calipers off of ebay. I put them on no problem, bleed them, no problem, took it out for a test ride and they locked up. I bled them again and they released, but now they have locked up again. Any suggestions ???

Thanks in advance

Robert

Robert, there are 3 areas you need to consider if the brakes are locking up, 1-Wayne has mentioned the first, hydraulics, 2- a seized piston can cause the pads to stay in contact with the rotor and 3- seized slides can stop the caliper from returning after a brake application. Everything must be in proper working order for the brakes to operate properly. If you cannot move the piston in with a mild amount of effort then it may be time for a rebuild and if you can't move the caliper on the slides easily then you need new slides and lube and it may be time for a flush and bleed and perhaps a master cylinder rebuild. Have an expert give you a second opinion to be sure.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#8 07-21-2007, 08:25 AM,
Robert

Have you found the problem yet?
86 Aspencade
#9 07-22-2007, 05:26 PM,
I had the same problem on my 83 SilverWing.
First I took off the brake pads to make sure they were okay.
Then I sucked out all the brake fluid from the master cylinder and wiped it clean with a nice clean rag.
Next I used a syringe to push new brake fluid thru the caliper bleeder back up to the master cylinder and therfore I cleaned out the line.
I did this twice to insure that I had it very clean and --yep you guessed it all was well
Tim
currenlty own
Car, truck, and bicycle :)
formerly owned
86 SEI,83GL 650i,82GL 500i
450 nighthawk, german spec CB 650, KZ 100, YZ 125, CT90
http://catman01.webs.com/
#10 07-22-2007, 06:53 PM,