Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air suspension display guage problem, rear caliper
I'm back on two wheels again after being bikeless for three years. I'm the proud owner of an '85 Aspencade as of this Spring. I'd like to take it on a good long ride, but want to work through some maintenance issues first.

I've found that when I increase or deacrease the air in either the front or rear shocks, the display guage reads max air no matter what I do. The display works fine otherwise. Any ideas on how to make the guage work? Changing the suspension air is just guesswork without it.

I just put on new pads all around. After I put the rear caliper back on it seems to constantly drag just a little. What would you recommend?
Brian
#1 07-24-2007, 07:23 PM,
As far as the drag is concerned it could be that dirt in the cylinders could be preventing the caliper from releasing properly, also make sure the caliper slide bolts are free.
Grip the caliper and you should feel a little movement (very little)

Make sure the air compressor is in good condition.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?t=87">http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?t=87</a><!-- m -->
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 07-25-2007, 11:04 AM,
Sounds like your switch is shorting out causing it to read full. You may need to dissassemble it and inspect it to make sure it isn't damaged.

For the brakes it seems like your piston seals have hardened and are causing the pistons to stick in the cylinder which keep the pads in contact with the rotor. You should be able to retract the pistons with two hands if not it's time to rebuild the caliper and the rotor. The caliper slides may be sticking as well.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 07-25-2007, 11:12 AM,
You know, one of the brake pistons was unsually hard to move. The slides seemed OK. I guess I need to rebuild. Any tips on where to find the procedures and the parts? I've never done this before.

With regard to the air compressor switch, are you referring to the buttons that increase the pressure in the shocks? If not, where would I find this switch.

Since I am new to this forum, I just want to compliment you guys on the wonderful content and the helpfulness of the community. What an incredible resource you guys are! Smile
Brian
#4 07-25-2007, 11:23 AM,
There's a lot of guys here that really help out and put a lot of effort into doing it right. Thanks for acknowledging that.

You get the brake seals for the Honda dealer. You should have an expert rebuild the caliper for you. But if you do it yourself you will need a helper to get the pistons out of the caliper. Unbolt the caliper from the mount and remove the pins that hold the pads in place, remove the pads, store away from oil and grease, have you helper pump the brakes to expel the pistons, if one pistons moves and the other does not use a pice of hardwood to stop that piston so the other piston can catch up, keep alternating with wood shims until the pistons are almost fully extended, check brake fluid add if needed, pistons should be almost ready to pop out, have a container ready to catch spilled brake fluid when pistons pop, undo brake line bring caliper to work bench.

Gently clean pistons with soap and water and fine scotchbrite pad. If there is any pitting on pistons the pistons must be replaced. All black surface residue can be removed and the piston can be dried.

Wash out the inside of the caliper with clean brake fluid and dry with a clean cloth. Carefully and gently clean out any corrosion and seal residue from the seal groove DO NOT gouge or scratch the seal groove because if you do you may render the caliper junk, just clean it.

After the groove is clean wet the new seal with brake fluid and install the new seal in the groove then wet the piston with brake fluid and press the piston into place, repeat for the other piston and reassemble all components, bleed the system and it should work fine.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 07-25-2007, 04:07 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Suspension.... from 84-85 others should be similar SIR tricky 17 8,445 09-01-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: jdtaylor@byu.net
  Help needed! Rear caliper frozen! pstelter 10 3,932 05-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Goldwing GL1100 '83 Aspencade Trike Rear Suspension steelhorseangel 1 1,811 11-02-2016, 04:37 PM
  Rear caliper ironhead1970 2 2,297 06-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Last Post: 1060dsl
  rear suspension thunk Frank 4 2,231 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Frank
  Rear brake bleeding problem Frank 23 6,552 08-21-2012, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Frank
  Rear Brake Caliper bolt sheridat 3 1,636 02-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Last Post: sheridat
  Rear Brake Caliper Boot B sheridat 6 2,321 09-21-2011, 05:20 AM
  rear brake problem, this will confuss you waltharper 9 2,915 11-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Last Post: waltharper
  GL 1200 A 1985 Air suspension leveling problem 1 1,157 07-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Guest