Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do not read this unless you're as dumb as me
If you're like me, your cassette deck doesn't work, right? Hold on there cowboy, are you SURE?

I always thought that:
- Like most cars, when you insert a tape it's supposed to play until you eject it.
- Like most cars, when you push the volume knob, it turns off the stereo. (I even "confirmed" this by trying it. Sure enough, it stops making music and the display goes blank.)

This all makes sense, but it's WRONG! Today I discovered that pushing the volume knob switches the stereo to "cassette mode". Turning OFF the stereo is done by turning the volume all the way down until it clicks.

Low and behold, my cassette deck works!!!

Now that I see how it works, I realize why they did this: It allows you to leave the cassette fully inserted even when it's not playing. Unlike your car, you can't have a cassette sticking half-way out while you listen to the radio, because that wouldn't be weatherproof. Back in the 80's most people left their favorite cassette in the deck all the time.

If you're as dumb as me, check it out and maybe you'll be surprised to find your deck works. Or, if you're smarter than me, maybe you've had a good laugh at my expense. ;-)
Paul
'86 SEi
#1 03-09-2008, 01:50 AM,

Messages In This Thread
Do not read this unless you're as dumb as me - by RustyTheDog - 03-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Re: Do not read this unless you're as dumb as me - by Guest - 03-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Re: Do not read this unless you're as dumb as me - by Guest - 04-15-2008, 07:16 AM