Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
New Progressive Springs...What a DIFF!!!!!!
I have known for a long time that my fork springs were shot. Finally had the job done yesterday as well as the stem bearings attended to. The difference was astounding! Smacking my head for not doing it sooner! :oops:
#1 07-27-2007, 06:39 AM,
Hey WGD,

Who did your front springs? Was it an individual or a shop. Just curious, can you shoot me a ballpark figure for the job? I'm needing to get mine done, I have the springs, but I don't think that I have the proper tools to do it effectively. I did replace the rear shocks myself. Was pretty straightforward and fairly easy. I'm just concerned about the springs under pressure, getting the correct amount of oil back in, and getting the caps back on without crossthreading them. Thanks.

Cheers,
FTO
Forever The Optimist
1986 Blue/Blue Aspencade
Little Elm, Tx
"Go Lobo's"
#2 07-29-2007, 12:18 AM,
FTO13 Wrote:Hey WGD,

Who did your front springs? Was it an individual or a shop. Just curious, can you shoot me a ballpark figure for the job? I'm needing to get mine done, I have the springs, but I don't think that I have the proper tools to do it effectively. I did replace the rear shocks myself. Was pretty straightforward and fairly easy. I'm just concerned about the springs under pressure, getting the correct amount of oil back in, and getting the caps back on without crossthreading them. Thanks.

Cheers,
FTO

I had my local dealer do it. They billed me for 2 1/2 hours labor ($75/hour here)which I thought was fair as they had to remove the forks.
#3 07-29-2007, 02:43 AM,
Hey that's not bad. I may have one of the other local shops shoot me an estimate. My regular dealer that I've used for a long time, (did most of the work on my old GL1000 and has done most of the work on my 1200) doesn't work on anything older than GL1500 anymore. They moved into a new facility and cut out the olde stuff. Don't understand that one, but oh well. There's another dealer across town that advetizes that they will work on anything. Thanks again for the info.
Forever The Optimist
1986 Blue/Blue Aspencade
Little Elm, Tx
"Go Lobo's"
#4 07-30-2007, 04:38 AM,
wiseguydave Wrote:

Cheers,
FTO

I had my local dealer do it. They billed me for 2 1/2 hours labor ($75/hour here)which I thought was fair as they had to remove the forks.

I'm curious as to why the forks had to come off. I did my own with no special tools and did not remove my forks. It took me about 30 minutes.

(Edit)

Oops, sorry, I didn't notice that you had the bearings done as well.
Bob Smith
2000 Aspencade - Mine
2009 Shadow Aero Touring - Hers
2000 Shadow ACE 750 - Sons
http://picasaweb.google.com/goldwings4ever/
#5 07-30-2007, 10:00 AM,
Goldwings 4 Ever Wrote:
wiseguydave Wrote:

Cheers,
FTO

I'm curious as to why the forks had to come off. I did my own with no special tools and did not remove my forks. It took me about 30 minutes.

(Edit)

That is interesting. My manual says to remove the forks too. I always wondered why that was necessary.
#6 07-30-2007, 10:46 AM,
After removing the brake calipers, the wheel, the mudguard, the handlebar cover, what is it to undo 6 Allen bolts and a circlip.
It takes but a few minutes to remove the forks.
I find it easier to do my work a bench.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#7 07-30-2007, 03:50 PM,
wiseguydave Wrote:
Goldwings 4 Ever Wrote:
wiseguydave Wrote:

Cheers,
FTO

(Edit)

That is interesting. My manual says to remove the forks too. I always wondered why that was necessary.

Hey Bob,
That almost sounds too easy. Can you elaborate on your procedure?
I'm still trying to get a good grasp of what's needed. Still feel a little uncomfortable tackling the front ones myself. Maybe unnecessarily so. Thanks.

Cheers,
Forever The Optimist
1986 Blue/Blue Aspencade
Little Elm, Tx
"Go Lobo's"
#8 07-31-2007, 03:12 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with identifying fork springs. stock or progressive? Flounder 2 1,638 05-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Last Post: neoracer
  Progressive front springs keystone373 10 3,617 07-16-2012, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Burnout
  Progressive Fork Springs & Fork Oil scty_p 5 2,780 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Roleketu
  Fork seals / progressive springs - clarification Unclebeer 4 2,333 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Roleketu
  Progressive springs for rear shocks 10 3,910 10-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Last Post: BladeRunner
  Progressive Springs 9 2,882 09-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Last Post: BladeRunner
  progressive fork springs cj7george 5 2,131 08-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Progressive Springs 2 1,191 06-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Last Post: seminolejoe
  Progressive Springs Done! FTO13 17 5,023 05-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Guest
  Fork oil and Progressive front fork springs Gary078 2 1,644 07-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Last Post: silverfoxwing