Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
anyone fitted an electrical connection stator harness?
hi wingers

greetings from the uk!

i've just bought an electrical connection
stator harness. it came with installation
instructions which i find a bit confusing.
i've phoned ec and asked for further
advice.

has any winger recently installed
one of ec's stator harness to
your 1200?

1) i understand all the installation
upto the reg. rec.
the coils connection i find a bit
confusing. + -
i can't find which is correct oem
color wires to the coil + & -.

2) what is the best spark
plug to use with the ec harness
please? ec advised me that ngk
isn't the best for the 1200?
others suggested ngk iridium?

can anyone please advise me!

many thanks everyone!

angel :-)
#1 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM,
I can't answer the question about the electrical harness other than to suggest searching the forum for others who have done or have an opinion about the harness. If I recall correctly, it has been greeted with mixed emotions.
Myself, I have an external alternator, so no harness is required.

As far as what is the best spark plug, your riding habits/style/location/duration yadda, yadda, yadda all needs to be taken into account.
What does Honda recommend for your area?

Asking which spark plug is best is like asking what engine oil to use (don't want to reopen THAT discussion)

I haven't had any problems with NGK in my bikes or cars and as such, don't see a need or reason to change. (my .02)

Good Luck and Happy Mortoring

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM,
many thanks bs!

the thought of having an external
alternator with pulleys, too close
to the rider is 'an accident waiting
to happen!' to butcher your bike
rather then changing the stator
is not logical to me.
i spoke to honda about the poor boy
conversion. they commented 'it's
a very dangerous and in the
event of an accident, limbs will
go missing!'

I'm going with the factory set up.
stay safe and pull your engine!

regards

angel
#3 06-17-2013, 02:28 PM,
Thanks for your input.

(let's not open Pandora's box on this one)

Big Grin

BTW - if I combine the abreviated handle bs(175dths) and the level of expertise title, expert, am I giving out expert BS? Smile
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM,
i dont know who you talked to at honda but i really think that advice would be better spent talking and listening to members of this and other forums.who have done the poorboy conversions,of course honda would not reccomend a poorboy,it would mean that they wouldn't sell parts that have been failing for years due to their poor design,course at the time it was "state of the art"
guess they dont have a reason why five years later the 1500's had an alternator installed
the poorboy conversion gets rid of pretty much all the 1200's weak electrical problems,but then again once the stator,regulator and solenoid connectors are hardwired,pretty much all the weal points are gone too except for the stator

emailed ya a file for the ignition circuit
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 06-17-2013, 08:13 PM,
hi wingers

many thanks for your relies.

also for the schematic.
i can't see the + and - symbols.
how do you know the correct
connections?
is the white and black = positive + ?
therefore the yellow/black = neg - ?

see my confusion. i can't find anything
in the manuals?

many thanks for your help!

Angel
#6 06-18-2013, 12:24 AM,
The wiring should be Yellow/Blue not Yellow/Black

Attached Files
.jpg   coils.jpg (Size: 10.35 KB / Downloads: 5)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#7 06-18-2013, 04:57 AM,
(06-17-2013, 02:28 PM)steelhorseangel Wrote: many thanks bs!

the thought of having an external
alternator with pulleys, too close
to the rider is 'an accident waiting
to happen!' to butcher your bike
rather then changing the stator
is not logical to me.
i spoke to honda about the poor boy
conversion. they commented 'it's
a very dangerous and in the
event of an accident, limbs will
go missing!'

I'm going with the factory set up.
stay safe and pull your engine!

regards

angel

Angel, I've been running an external alternator on my Wing for over 10 years without problems nor incident. You cannot see the external alternator from the outside of my bike. Regarding the safety factor; the likelihood of your bike or your body going up in flames due to burning wires with the stock Honda charging system is a far greater reality than that of the external alternator ever causing any injury. I would strongly advise anyone who owns a GL1200 to consider installing an external alternator, unless of course, you can't or don't want to understand the real benefits of an external alternator on a GL1200. To be honest, Honda butchered our almost excellent bikes by engineering and installing such a poor performing and potentially dangerous original charging system on our bikes and then furthered the insult by forcing us to have to remove the engine to replace the consistently defective stators. The external alternator just about makes the GL1200 an almost perfect motorcycle and our bikes should of had a charging system like the external right from the factory.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#8 06-18-2013, 07:44 AM,
I have seen at least one photo of a non-Poorboy external alternator install on Craigslist that looked like an accident waiting to happen (wish I had posted the photo --- it was a travesty to behold, totally outside the framing of the fairing). But the Poorboy install and others like it are not going to cause limbs to go missing in an accident. It's a solid mount design or it wouldn't work. If an accident occurred that managed to detach it from it's mount points, I'm pretty sure that would be the least of your issues as it would have to be a pretty nasty crash.
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#9 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM,
I remember seeing one of those crazy external alternators mounted on the crash bar and driven via a belt from the crankshaft. What a disaster waiting to happen. I have also seen another version that mounted the alternator directly on the front of the timing belt cover and the rotor was driven directly off of the camshaft pulley, unfortunately, the cams run at half the speed of the crankshaft. This one looked better than the first one I mentioned but still, placing the extra load on one timing belt just doesn't impress me at all. And the other one I remember seeing also had a custom timing belt cover but it looked really bulky because the drive belt for the alternator was under the timing belt cover and this one was driven by the crankshaft. The external alternator that I use on my bike is very safe, extremely reliable, cheap and super easy to replace in 15 minutes by simply removing the left lower fairing. Have a look:

[Image: Alternatorinstalled.jpg]

#10 06-18-2013, 08:48 PM,
hi admin

thank you for your great photo!
did you do the conversion yourself?
it looks better than the poor boy one!

how long did it take to install
and at what cost please? $ :-(

do you've any other staged photos
please?

many thanks admin!

angel
#11 06-18-2013, 08:59 PM,
The instructions are in this pdf you can download.

http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/sh...?tid=10072
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#12 06-19-2013, 05:00 AM,
(06-18-2013, 08:59 PM)steelhorseangel Wrote: hi admin

thank you for your great photo!
did you do the conversion yourself?
it looks better than the poor boy one!

how long did it take to install
and at what cost please? $ :-(

do you've any other staged photos
please?

many thanks admin!

angel

Hi Angel, yes, I did build the external alternator installation hardware myself, it took about 4 hours to complete and it was a very simple undertaking and I even did it originally without moving the radiator ahead, I just decreased the size of the cooling fan. Over time I realized that certain situations could cause overheating (dead stop traffic on extremely hot days) so I installed a stock size fan and moved the radiator ahead to allow clearance for the alternator drive belt and since I originally had a 2.5 inch pulley on the crankshaft I found that a lot of stop and go city driving could drain the battery so I changed up to a 3.5 inch crank pulley and the battery has never gone dead since. I have more pics somewhere on one of my 5 hard drives and if I come across them I will post them here.

Note: One thing I should mention is that you may encounter interference with the number 2 carb enriching valve that may contact the sheet metal cover on the back of the alternator. The interference will limit the amount of travel of the valve and this can be fixed by dimpling in the thin metal cover to give enough room for full, unrestricted travel, just something to check as I have run into this problem on a few 1200's that I have converted.

I should also mention that I highly recommend using a 3 groove micro V belt rather than a standard V belt because the 3 groove micro V belt requires less tension than a standard V belt. From the outside this doesn't seem to be a major issue, but, if you were to examine the number one main bearing closely after running the external alternator for several hundred miles you would see that having too much belt tension on the alternator drive belt could cause premature and undue wear on the front main bearing. I tend to tension the alternator belt just enough to drive without slipping and the adjustment will stay good for several years.

#13 06-19-2013, 05:15 AM,