Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Type of shock
How do I tell what type of rear shock I have. They leak and need to be rebuilt. I have looked around and seen progressive 416 shocks for $300.00 plus. A little hard on the wallet right now. I also seen rebuild kits an springs for 1984 Goldwing shocks. So how do I know that the kits will fit. the shocks when you look at them only say Air shocks on them. I see no number or anything else on them.
#1 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM,
well I have a set of Progressive 416's sitting on my table and one of these days I will get around to putting them on - they look very similar to the OEM shocks except they have very thin air lines where the OEM has thicker braided lines
#2 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM,
That is correct; the stock shocks used thick air hoses made of rubber. The Progressive use a thin, hard, nylon type hose and the hose kits are not interchangeable. The site here has a thread about how to rebuild either kind of shock. Understanding the ride difference some say is like night and day. I am not sure which style has better part availability, but the stock shocks are easier on the wallet these days. I know the main rubber seal of the stock unit is still available through Mother Honda. Study what you have and then come back here with any questions.
My 84I has a set of gas charged shocks which are too weak for solo riding so I don't carry a passenger or too much weight. I have a set of stock shocks which need the main seals replaced because the seller shipped them unprotected and some dings and dents were made during shipping and rendered one seal useless. I have addressed the high spots and am confident a new set of seals will breath new life into these shocks

Good Luck.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 07-09-2013, 09:42 PM,
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check the air hoses an see what mine really look like..
#4 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM,
If you go for Progressive 416's they have an adapter kit for the air lines.

The spring rate on the stock suspension appears to be linear vs progressive for the Progressives (Smile ) the stock spring compresses at the same rate till it bottoms, the progressive Progressive (Smile) increases in rate (resistance) as it is compressed.

The difference: at about 50,000 miles & two up, with a reasonable amount of cargo in the boxes, the bike needed lots of air pressure in the rear to set the sag (level the ride height to normal) and wallowed through corners like an old bed frame, wagging the bars all the while, and still bottomed out on sharp dips, just for added annoyance. My sport bike riding pal took it for a spin and sez, "How do you ride that tub?"

After Progressive 416's - no air to speak of riding solo, a touch of air when two up. No bottoming any more, and the bike will corner at speed with one light hand on the bars. It's a pleasure to bend it through the twisty bits, for a big bike.

#5 07-11-2013, 06:20 AM,