Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Goldwing Brake HELL!!!!
Thanks to all who responded. I just got home from visiting my Mom for the holiday. Im going to check for a kinked line. If it isnt that Im going to replace all my brakelines.
They are the only parts of the brakes that i havent either rebuilt or replaced
PAST I have owned 23 motorcycles as my main bike including 5 Choppers 3 GL1000s and 2 GL1200s

Now 84/86 GL1200 Asp w/Sidecar
#16 07-05-2012, 01:37 PM,
Possibly you could force the obstruction out by removing the caliper from the rotor (leave line attached) and remove the pads too... Take a piece of wood about the size of the pads and a C-clamp and force the caliper piston back into the caliper... Ya might then pump the brake pedal while watching the piston... Don't let it come to far out and then redo the above... If it is an obstruction than it likely will be in the resevoir... You should be able to slowly push the caliper piston in by hand (no clamp) once all is working correcly...

Also as stated above, do check that the rod adjustment at teh master cylinder is not to tight...
Ed Zogg
#17 07-06-2012, 02:39 PM,
I checked the line and it wasnt kinked.
Im going to order up some new lines and see if that does it
How much play should be in the rear pedal?
thanks
tom
PAST I have owned 23 motorcycles as my main bike including 5 Choppers 3 GL1000s and 2 GL1200s

Now 84/86 GL1200 Asp w/Sidecar
#18 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM,
If you remove the pads and reinstall the calipers can you easily move the calipers back and forth in the slides? 9 times out of 10 the slides do not get properly overhauled and they stick. Do the pistons retract easily into the caliper? You should be able to force the piston back into the caliper by hand on a newly rebuilt caliper, if you can't then most likely the corrosion was not properly removed from the seal grooves during rebuild.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#19 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM,
If you remove the pads and reinstall the calipers can you easily move the calipers back and forth in the slides? 9 times out of 10 the slides do not get properly overhauled and they stick. Do the pistons retract easily into the caliper? You should be able to force the piston back into the caliper by hand on a newly rebuilt caliper, if you can't then most likely the corrosion was not properly removed from the seal grooves during rebuild.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#20 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM,
Well after reading this..I have the same problem, but mine is the front master and left caliper...I cleaned everything installed new kits, pistons and banjo bolts and seals..but mine will lock up when it is sitting and cold..but it also does it after I have ridden for a while..So I have the maste apart again and it is in the cleaner and I will see if maybe there is a small piece of materieal that is blocking the return . But any advice would be great..( Dave told me to use a small gauge wire and make sure the return is clean..but I cannot find a hole in there? Just the main one..I took the small clip off, and there is a bunch of gunk..but I never found a hole)
Paul
Hillsboro, Oregon
#21 06-17-2013, 05:28 AM,
It's going to look something like this. You can see the fine wire poking in the hole just down from the red pointer

[Image: mastercylinder012.jpg]

You may have to really work to get the wire to go through
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#22 06-17-2013, 07:41 AM,
I had a similar problem with my left/front not releasing. My pads were worn down and the pistons were out quite far. I decided to remove the left/front caliper so as to not to have to work on the ground. With the brake hose removed, when I was finally able to get the two pistons to retract, some very old, thick brake fluid came out of the banjo bolt hole. I used a cotton swab to get the area cleaned of the old fluid.
After reassembly, new front pads and bleeding the fresh fluid, all is now factory.
So, there may be old fluid just behind the brake pistons not allowing the pistons to retract.

Good Luck
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#23 06-17-2013, 03:03 PM,
Frank, Yea, I found it after cleaning for a while..but no go with the wire..But being a diabetic..I took one of my insulin syringes..and it fits that hole perfectly..and had no problem getting it unblocked as well as flushing it with some clean brake fluid..so just a future FYI for those that find this issue..just get an insulin syringe..and its a quick fix.

And, the reason why it had me confused is I had just went through and cleaned, replaced all the brake lines with stainless from Paragon, new K&N caliper kits from Saber Cycle as well as new pistons and master cylinder kits front and back...but somehow I thought that the pressure relief hole was clean...

Thank You for your input..I thought I was on the right track.
Paul
Hillsboro, Oregon
#24 06-20-2013, 07:39 PM,
I bet she will work now
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#25 06-20-2013, 09:27 PM,