q) did they come with pin stripes
from factory? or are they a stick
on accessory?

I've looked at the ones on the
bikes plastics and can see a clear coat
over them. would be a good idea
to put a new one on top of the
original ones and clear coat again?

my bikes color is 'senior metallic gray'.
the pin stripe is 1-2mm silver.

i can't find the pin stripes in the uk.

any advice on locating a stockists
for these is greatly appreciated!

thanks everyone!

Angel
#1 07-18-2013, 03:53 PM,
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_de...veh=132500

Angel here is a link to what you seek. By the looks of what I see those stripes are no longer available, (you could drop them a note to find out for sure) but if you go to any auto body painters supply house, you can pick up rolls of varying widths of striping that you could just use your stock stripes as a pattern. I would suggest that you sand the stripes down flat but be careful just to sand the stripes, layout the new stripes & then lightly sand the whole body surface & then clear coat. I would recommend 3-M if you can find it over there or online. It is by far the very best striping used in the auto industry. Cheers Angela aka fysty-1
Angela(fysty-1) & Dani
Surrey, B.C., Canada
'85 Honda GL 1200 (fully dressed) I. (sold)
pres. 95 Virago 1100
"No matter how blue life may get always remember that there's a rainbow in the sky."
"Grab life by the handlbars an hang on."

#2 07-18-2013, 07:50 PM,
FYI, GL1200's I have seen have the pin striping under the clear coat to keep them protected and they are a lot of work to remove. You can install them over the clear coat, but, you may be dissatisfied with the long term performance. Why not have a professional striper paint them on for you. Finally, do not be disturbed by the no longer available message from parts outfits as many dealers and warehouses have a lot of our parts still available, but, you must search to find it. Typically, no longer available means that Honda is no longer handling those items and they may have sold off remaining stock to distributors, dealers and retailers. Good hunting.

Back when our bikes were new it was the land of plenty and they overstocked many replacement parts to ensure supply. Today, as I understand it, new Wings are built with saving every penny in mind, therefore, parts can be scarce and I have even heard the parts term "no longer available" applied to a 2001 Gold Wing. It takes big bucks to build and store spare parts in giant warehouses so they trim it down as much as possible to cut costs. Fortunately, aftermarket suppliers have noticed the popularity of our old bikes and they reproduce many parts that are truly no longer available from Honda suppliers. This is a tell tale sign that our GL1200s are good bikes because someone sees a big enough market in our bikes to chance reproducing parts for them today when the bikes are almost 30 years old.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 07-19-2013, 08:57 AM,
hi Angela and Vic

many thanks for your very informative
replies. this was very good of you.

finding a pinstriper in the uk
is virtually impossible.
the majority of the pinstripe on
the bike are in good condition.
the left saddlebag lid is cracked and
repaired by the po, with fibreglass
badly! i can't find a left hand lid
in the uk, anywhere.
the same left lid has missing
pinstripes? this means that
the po's must've replaced and
painted the left lid, but not
pinstriped it.

I'm a Wildlife Artist and i was thinking
a simple fix. I've scanned the right
lid pinstripes, then reversed the
image in photoshop. I will
then make a template and hand
paint the pinstripes the left lid,
to match the right lid.

the pinstripes are in silver!
i do have similar color paint.
this means the paint will be
flat. just clear coat it afterwards.

I need to find a left lid for an interstate.
hard to find here in the uk.

Thanks again for your help wingers!

regards

Angel
#4 07-19-2013, 12:30 PM,
Angel, get in touch with this seller to determine a shipping quote for the left saddlebag cover you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GL1200-LEF...73&vxp=mtr There are several covers like this in the listings. You might get lucky and find one that is in perfect condition and the right color, but, don't hold your breath. Recently, on ebay, I purchased an NOS (new old stock) fairing and trunk upper and lowers for my bike, still in the original Honda box, and there were not outrageously expensive so maybe you'll get lucky. I had to strip all the striping off these brand new parts and prep them so I could paint them despite the fact that the finish was flawless on all pieces, but, my bike is yellow and I needed to match the rest of the paint on my bike.

You may also want to sift through these listings http://www.part-search.co.uk/motorcycleb...mit=Search in the hopes of finding a cover over your way. Don't be afraid to ask these sellers if they know someone else that might have your part because a lot of these sellers know each other and are somehow connected and most likely they have your parts listed elsewhere.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 07-19-2013, 01:48 PM,
(07-19-2013, 01:48 PM)admin Wrote: Angel, get in touch with this seller to determine a shipping quote for the left saddlebag cover you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GL1200-LEF...73&vxp=mtr There are several covers like this in the listings. You might get lucky and find one that is in perfect condition and the right color, but, don't hold your breath. Recently, on ebay, I purchased an NOS (new old stock) fairing and trunk upper and lowers for my bike, still in the original Honda box, and there were not outrageously expensive so maybe you'll get lucky. I had to strip all the striping off these brand new parts and prep them so I could paint them despite the fact that the finish was flawless on all pieces, but, my bike is yellow and I needed to match the rest of the paint on my bike.

You may also want to sift through these listings http://www.part-search.co.uk/motorcycleb...mit=Search in the hopes of finding a cover over your way. Don't be afraid to ask these sellers if they know someone else that might have your part because a lot of these sellers know each other and are somehow connected and most likely they have your parts listed elsewhere.

Great advice Vic. Angel, I took an engine cover & "pencil traced" the complete stripe shape then carefully traced it out & cut out the shape as a template, then I printed a micro-fische drawing of the complete stripe package for 2 different 85's. From this I was going to have a sign shop make up decals in the colors of my choice for a new paint scheme for Baby Blue but age & health (actually only health) has forced me to part with my dearly beloved so the patterns now just sit in a drawer until I get the inkling to do them up as templates for soles like yourself to buy & complete their re-do's. But to any of you all that haven't thought of that before, go ahead & use my idea as per my past history, I would probably only end up going to all that is involved & then just give it away to Forum members. I can't believe just how many parts I have given away over the years. Anyway good luck with your project. Angela Big GrinBig Grin
Angela(fysty-1) & Dani
Surrey, B.C., Canada
'85 Honda GL 1200 (fully dressed) I. (sold)
pres. 95 Virago 1100
"No matter how blue life may get always remember that there's a rainbow in the sky."
"Grab life by the handlbars an hang on."

#6 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM,