Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trip meter issue....
A couple of weeks back I replaced my front cowl. All went well and no issues. I have noticed one oddity now though. My trip meter will reset itself. This happens not while the bike is on and running but rather when I start my bike. It doesn't happen every time but happens almost every other start. It's not too big of an issue just an annoyance, as I like to keep track of how far I have gone on each tank of gas, as I don't trust my gauge. My speedo works no problems, and my mechanical odometer is functioning well. The digital trip meter will always count, but resets itself when the bike starts, any ideas? All connections seem good, but if it were a loose connection you would think it would happen when I hit a bump.

Also, I do not have the label around the buttons for operating my dash. Can anyone explain what each does? I noticed when I hold certain ones I can change the trip meter digits and I have a "+" or a "-"......what is that for? If I set that to zero, my next start that it resets the tip meter, this display when I switch to it will have random numbers there, like last night said 666.0- ( Huh ), but is different each reset. Bike run fines and all operates with no issues, just this one oddity that I never had before I did the front cowl swap, and the digital cluster is from my old one, as well as the wiring harness, it was just a plastic swap, and I never had this issue before....hope that made sense LOL
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#1 08-16-2013, 05:25 AM,
As is par for the course, if it didn't do it before the change, and it is doing it after the change, it must have something to do with what was changed.
My only suggestion is to go back over what you did (sometimes a hard pill to swallow) and look for anomalies. A ‘plastic only’ swap may have pinched or put a severe kink in a wire, or may have even cut the wire insulation enough to cause a short to a nearby piece of metal.
Try riding the bike without the plastic you replaced and see if the problem is resolved.

That being stated, given as I have an Interstate (low to no factory electronics), suggestion for the lack of labels around your dash: check here (as you have done), check E-bay for pictures of the dash and its labels, look for a copy of the user’s manual, or maybe a member will pdf you a copy.

Good Luck!

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 08-16-2013, 07:36 AM,
I can't ride without the upper fairing and check the issue, that would be impossible. I am going to go back through the connections and make sure they are good and tight. I doubt its a short or the like because then it would happen more often then just every other start up atleast with bumps and such. it has never happened mid ride. I was reading somewhere, someone had the same issue and had to clean up the contacts on the plug in the harness above the headlight (green 9-pin) that connects the buttons to the dash. If that doesn't work, I will just deal with it.....its more an annoyance than anything. LOL Thanks for the quick response....its most likely simple poor hook up like you hinted at LOL
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#3 08-16-2013, 07:44 AM,
Tongue I wasn't aware it was the upper fairing. When I read 'front cowl' I pictured the plastic trim under the headlight, and the headlight area, but not the whole upper fairing! LOL

NOW you have plans for the weekend!! Big Grin
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 08-16-2013, 08:45 AM,
(08-16-2013, 08:45 AM)bs175dths Wrote: Tongue I wasn't aware it was the upper fairing. When I read 'front cowl' I pictured the plastic trim under the headlight, and the headlight area, but not the whole upper fairing! LOL

NOW you have plans for the weekend!! Big Grin

Wish I could tell my boss the same LOL
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#5 08-16-2013, 08:33 PM,