Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Radio
Hello,

I just added a Pyle radio to my 84 GL1200 Interstate.
It fits great and looks great, but I have one problem.
I want to put speakers in my helmet.
The radio does not have a headphone jack but has an RCA line out on the back of the radio.
I purchased an RCA cable with a headphone jack, I also plugged in the speakers.
Nothing happened, no sound thru the headphones at all.
The Radio was suppose to cut out and feed the headphones, but it did not.
What am I missing???
Please help, I would really like tunes when I'm riding.

Thank You,
Bodag
#1 10-02-2013, 06:56 AM,
Line output is for feeding an amplifier thats why you have little or no output for headphones. What you need is a a line out headphone ampifier if you want to use it for earbuds or earphones. They are availble and boost the audio output level to useable earphone levels.Another way is to add a mini female earphone jack by splicing
the + and - wires to the speaker wires. Both the speaker and the headphone jack will be live though and if you just want earphones only either cut the positive line to the speaker after the splice or put a simple on/off switch on the + line after the splice(on the speaker side of the splice) which then allows you to have speaker and earphones or just earphones by flipping the switch to the off position. I've done this in the past.Good luck.
#2 10-02-2013, 01:10 PM,
(10-02-2013, 01:10 PM)sparky65 Wrote: Line output is for feeding an amplifier thats why you have little or no output for headphones. What you need is a a line out headphone ampifier if you want to use it for earbuds or earphones. They are availble and boost the audio output level to useable earphone levels.Another way is to add a mini female earphone jack by splicing
the + and - wires to the speaker wires. Both the speaker and the headphone jack will be live though and if you just want earphones only either cut the positive line to the speaker after the splice or put a simple on/off switch on the + line after the splice(on the speaker side of the splice) which then allows you to have speaker and earphones or just earphones by flipping the switch to the off position. I've done this in the past.Good luck.

Sparky65,
Thanks, this was very helpful. I think I'm going to go with the line out headphone amplifier.
I don't like like going down the road with my Music blaring.

Thanks again,
Ride Safe,
Bodag
#3 10-03-2013, 03:37 AM,