Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
1200 rear speaker connection
last fall picked a a set of Marine Grade coaxils, small rectangular boxes that fit beautifully in place of the leather" stuff " pouches under the passenger armrests on my 84 Interstate. Bike did not come with rear speakers. When I wired them in I went a simple route ( maybe too simple?) I spliced into front speakers ( new OEM replacements). It works pretty well but definitely the rears seem to be running at less volume than the fronts, this is even just standing still and off of the bike. Would it be better or maybe even correct to access the amp and wire rears directly to that? .... or? Will be opening up the front before very long to replace the instrument cluster ( speedo took a crap ) have the replacement waiting. Even tho I have started to get very attached to my ear pods/ Iphone/ pandora would like the option of wind in my ears along with Howlin Wolf thru the speakers! .... Crowe ....Cool
#1 04-09-2014, 09:28 AM,
Are the rear speakers 4 or 8 ohm? Also, what is the wattage of the rear speakers? Some speakers require more power to drive them.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 04-09-2014, 05:52 PM,
(04-09-2014, 05:52 PM)admin Wrote: Are the rear speakers 4 or 8 ohm? Also, what is the wattage of the rear speakers? Some speakers require more power to drive them.

4 ohm as I remember which should be correct, wattage ? but not huge .... designed to work off of a "typical" 12v auto/boat system ..... ok, will try for pics ...
#3 04-10-2014, 03:46 AM,
The wattage on the speaker shouldn't have a big impact as it's more representative of the MAX wattage the speaker will handle. definitely check the resistance, and verify how you spliced them in. If you wired them in parallel, you've HALVED the impedance that your speakers are offering to the radio, and that can damage the power amp. If you wired them in serial, you've ADDED (front resistance plus rear) impedance and your volume level will drop off significantly overall. And, again, you can potentially damage the power amp.

Personally, I would verify whether or not the head unit is equipped to handle front and rear speakers directly. If it is, then having only the front speakers connected would require that the rear and front wiring be brought together to essentially "defeat" the fader and ensure the power amp was seeing the right resistance. And, adding rear speakers would mean that you should undo the wiring that's in place and wire properly for four speakers.
#4 05-28-2014, 11:04 AM,
the sei/ltd use a fader in the travel computer to properly adjust the volume front/back,i assume that that would be the only proper way to adjust the volume
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 05-29-2014, 08:33 AM,
Just looked up the standard components for radios (non LTD/SE-i) and it appears that those machines got only front speakers. So, neoracer is correct in that you would need to have that travel computer with the joystick fader in it, or someone competent in audio wiring to rig one up for you if you wanted to use a standard deck.

My supposition is that, if you go aftermarket and get one that has a deeper mounting depth (which means you'll have to modify the plastics to keep it neat), you would also be able to get one that supported a four speaker system with a built-in fader. The stock unit is shallower in depth because the power amp portion is external to the deck itself. And, that's where the fader control would come in.
#6 05-29-2014, 11:42 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  86 gl1200 rear speaker installation EricGL1200A 4 2,445 04-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Last Post: admin