Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foot Brake works which caliper in the front?
I had read in 2 manuals that the rear caliper and front left caliper on my '85 Aspencade were associated with the foot pedal (brake).

I was still trying to get over the fact that the foot brake did something besides operate the rear brake when my "bleeding problems" began.

To make a long story short, I learned that my front right caliper was connected to the foot brake. I should have suspected something was wrong when the seals I bought for the front left were too small (they would have fit my front right caliper!).

I thought I would go nuts figuring it out... after all, manuals are never wrong Wink

Were there differences between different GoldWings (left and right front associated with rear)? Am I insane? -please don't answer that one.

- Confused with now stopping bike.
- Thanks for the great forum!
Some people call this disease a hobby or an interest. Yeah right. ;)
#1 08-03-2007, 07:47 PM,
No difference in years AFAIK...

This is a copy from the Genuine Honda manual for the 84-85 years and I know the 86 is the same.

"Brakes
Service Information
CAUTION
This motorcycle has a unified brake system which provides simultaneous braking action of the right front and rear disc brakes when the brake pedal is operated. The hand brake lever operates the left front disc brake, which is independent of the unified system.

Reading the Haynes manual it states the opposite:

[Image: haynesbrakeerror.jpg]

My bike the right front is actuated by the rear pedal.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 08-03-2007, 08:03 PM,
tricky Wrote:No difference in years AFAIK...

This is a copy from the Genuine Honda manual for the 84-85 years and I know the 86 is the same.

"Brakes
Service Information
CAUTION
This motorcycle has a unified brake system which provides simultaneous braking action of the right front and rear disc brakes when the brake pedal is operated. The hand brake lever operates the left front disc brake, which is independent of the unified system.

Reading the Haynes manual it states the opposite:

[Image: haynesbrakeerror.jpg]

Thanks Tricky. I'm starting to feel less insane. Smile
Some people call this disease a hobby or an interest. Yeah right. ;)
#3 08-03-2007, 08:11 PM,
i wonder the same too.. someone on goldwing facts told me it was rear+front right.. and on the Haynes manual says rear + front left as you can see on the picture posted above.. so can someone confirm? xP
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#4 08-26-2007, 08:20 PM,
I think it's the right on my bike. Will check tonight.
Won't be for much longer anyway. I'm going to replace my brake lines with steel ones and get rid of this combined brake stuff at the same time. Back to normal operation.

Ronald
#5 08-27-2007, 05:20 AM,
Normal operation for the wing is a duel braking system it bike was designed with duel braking for a reason, it not a light weight crotch rocket, it is one heavy machine that needs a braking system in order to stop the bike as safely as possible, it is a good design, presumably your going to do away with one disk on the front, if not you may find your locking up the front wheel with very little effort if you combine both calipers with the front lever.
Most caliper problems are the result of poor maintenance usually of the dont fix it if it isnt broke school of thought.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#6 08-27-2007, 05:39 AM,
Duq Wrote:I think it's the right on my bike. Will check tonight.
Won't be for much longer anyway. I'm going to replace my brake lines with steel ones and get rid of this combined brake stuff at the same time. Back to normal operation.

Ronald

The main reason for the right front and the rear to be "ganged" together is to help keep from locking up the rear tire during an emergency stop and sliding out of control. I've only had one instance where I locked up the rear and that was when I took my driving test. The only reason I could figure that the tire locked on me is I trailered the bike to the DMV and the tires were cold and not sticky enough for that type of stop.

If you do decide to gang the two front calipers together remember this; The pistons in the left caliper are quite a bit larger than the ones on the right and could have a tendency to pull to the left during a hard stop plus that back tire is gonna lock up ALOT easier.

If it were me, I'd stay stock with the brake set-up. Less chance of Road Rash that way! IMHO!!
1985 Limited Edition
#7 08-27-2007, 10:16 AM,
Confirmed: right caliper is linked to the back.

roscoepc Wrote:The pistons in the left caliper are quite a bit larger than the ones on the right
I can't see any difference...

roscoepc Wrote:...and could have a tendency to pull to the left during a hard stop
If uneven brake force would be a concern then why control the two calipers seperately in the first place?

tricky Wrote:...it is one heavy machine that needs a braking system in order to stop the bike as safely as possible
True, but it's only a few pounds more than the GL1000 which has always worked fine for me without the combined braking.

tricky Wrote:...presumably your going to do away with one disk on the front, if not you may find your locking up the front wheel with very little effort if you combine both calipers with the front lever.
No way, the bike needs two disks in front!

Thanks for the concern guys, but I'm definitely changing to both disks on the front lever. That's how I learned to ride and that's what I'm comfortable with. The way I learned to brake is to apply the front brake first so the weight of the bike moves to the front. Then you add the rear. That way you reduce the risk of locking up the rear.
I'm not worried about either wheel locking up. In 50k km on the 1000 I've never locked the front and rarely locked the rear. If the rear locks simply release and re-apply.

Ronald
#8 08-27-2007, 10:49 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't get all the air out of Right Front Caliper brake line WingMan71 6 531 05-19-2017, 05:49 AM
Last Post: WingMan71
  Front brake problem bagelboy 4 1,075 05-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Last Post: bagelboy
  front right caliper ironhead1970 3 890 02-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Last Post: old gold
  Front Brake Huge Improvement wilmas2cool 7 1,443 11-23-2013, 07:33 AM
Last Post: wingandaprayer
  1985 GL1200I Front Brake Bleed WAC1972 15 2,412 10-11-2013, 03:23 AM
Last Post: admin
  Front right brake problem charron.bob 1 447 04-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Last Post: charron.bob
  Front Brake Bleed gclave 3 467 01-26-2013, 03:42 PM