Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
HELP! SNAPPED FRONT AXLE RETAINING STUD!!
1985 Interstate
Front Fork
Item Number 72
Honda Part Number 90102-463-003 Bolt, Stud (10 X 52)
According Partzilla, the part is Obsolete

Two thoughts:

1. using the tools or tools of similar length as tools supplied with the bike is a wise idea - length of tool increases available torque, we all know that. Short handled or 1/4" drive ratchets are my tool of choice when faced with situations like the front axle pinch nuts, exhaust stud bolts and similar.

'feeling' the proper torque takes practice.

try to reason why Honda (or any manufacturer) designed it the way they did - there IS a reason

which is why I won't change those pesky philip head screws used on carburetor float bowls with allen head screws now being offered on the WWW. I would much rather round the head of the philip head than overtorque and crack the carburetor body.
Using the proper fitting philip bit solves the problem of rounding the head. And if you can't break it loose, an impact driver (with proper sized bit) will break it loose. If the head is too rounded to keep the bit in place, I use a small version of a vise-grip pliers. I have always had success this way.

proper tool for proper application.

2. don't use a torque wrench from Harbor Freight unless you want a lesson in extracting broken bolts/studs.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#16 05-10-2016, 08:51 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take the retaining ring out of the rear shock 1 1,416 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Guest