Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Shock bolt collar fiasco
Hey guys

I've been meaning to post this for a week or so, in hopes that it may help somebody from encountering the PITA that I had last week. I'm putting this in the wheels and tires section even though it involves a rear shock. Most likely we would encounter this in removing the rear wheel for a tire change. I did, unfortunately.

As I removed the lower shock bolts to remove the rear wheel, I noticed that the wheel and tire did not drop to the floor as I expected. Thinking that the swing arm was just stuck, I took a length of 2 X 4 and gave the wheel a few persuasive taps. Big mistake. Upon further checking, after wiping off my bifocals :cry: , I found that the steel collar, which is inside the lower shock mounting rubber, had come out part way when I pulled the bolt out, and the weight of the tire, wheel, and swing arm were resting on that small collar, bending the crap out of it. I had to raise the wheel slightly, and pull the mangled collar out of the shock rubber. Then the rear wheel assembly dropped easily to the floor. It turns out that the shock bolt fits tightly inside that steel collar. Mine was really bent up, so I started the search for a new one. Hmmmm. Called every Honda shop in a 50 mile raidus....no go, but they can order the part. The thought of waiting for a $4 part in August didn't turn me on. I took the collar and bolt and tried hardware stores, and an Industrial supply company, even an independent bike shop. Nothing doing. So off I go to work, even though I was on vacation, and after some time in the shop filing, bending and shaping that mangled collar, was able to get it back over the shock bolt where it belongs. I'll probably order a replacement collar and replace it next tire change, but for now I'm back in business.

Bottom line here, and sorry to be so long winded, but if you pull those shock bolts out and the wheel and tire don't drop easily to the floor, make sure those collars are inside their rubbers at the bottom of the shocks and not hanging up on the mounts. That silly little part would have cost me a week of riding had I not been able to salvage it. That made what should have been an easy tire change a big pain in the butt!
#1 08-09-2007, 08:35 AM,
Thanks for the heads up on an invisible little part that can cause much unneeded aggravation. It's always good to know that a little finnesse does a better job than a whole bunch of force. A few taps with a punch and a hammer would have made all the difference if you had been aware of the potential problem like you have just made us aware. Thank you.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 08-09-2007, 09:50 AM,
Yeah... what Vic said! :wink:
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#3 08-09-2007, 10:11 AM,
Quote:It's always good to know that a little finnesse does a better job than a whole bunch of force.

Absolutely. I could have kicked myself when I finally saw what was happening. It wouldn't even have taken a punch and hammer, once I got it "round" again I pushed it into the rubber with my finger.

Good news is those parts are still available. I just didn't want to lose a week of riding waiting for it!
#4 08-09-2007, 12:38 PM,
That's how we learn, 85GL. Next time, it will be a breeze. Thanks for the information.
#5 08-09-2007, 02:57 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front wheel collar SIR tricky 2 1,648 04-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Last Post: robdavspa
  Replacing rear tire (Left Shock Bolt) 10 7,394 10-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Guest