Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring what not to do!
So I bought this 86 SE-I trike a few months ago, and have been putting it back together, new clutch, water pump, stator, engine was already out made life a little easier. Everything pretty much back together now all running albeit a little rough when warmed up but I'll work on that. I have been trying to get the radio working finally able to get it at least to turn on but not a bit of sound, I decided to get down and dirty and pull the gauge cluster to access the radio connector harness low and behold look what I found. I know that the PO did not do it because he never even had it running and had purchased it towards the end of 2013 and never had it running another story there. Some where along the line some got happy with butt connectors instead of either replacing total harness or at least resoldering the wires. I've opted to replace the harness. Every wire had a butt connector. That's a lot of butts to deal with! Enjoy the pictures. Hope it posts correctly

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

#1 08-13-2016, 11:15 AM,
What were the connectors for? what type of radio is in there, is it not the stock radio... just curious

Did someone add a different power amp?
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 08-13-2016, 03:37 PM,
(08-13-2016, 03:37 PM)SIR tricky Wrote: What were the connectors for? what type of radio is in there, is it not the stock radio... just curious

All the wires are for the factory radio connector harness slide in unit, why they were all cut and reconnected with butt connectors I have no idea why maybe they replaced the radio junction connection, the radio is the factory Panasonic RM1400A model, everything in the left pocket are the factory pieces including the amp. Personally I like to keep everything all stock that is why I am trying to get the radio up and running, I could just install another radio and do all fresh wiring and be done with it. My replacement harness came in yesterday so I went out and connected everything together this morning without actually installing the parts back into the fairing yet, and still no speaker sounds not even a crackle, I have been trying to follow the manual for all the connections with the din cords but nothing, I have switched radio with another that does work fine, before the replacement harness I even switched out the amp from another bike, but took it out and put it back in the other bike, but I haven't changed amp from the other bike to try yet since getting the new harness, I would like to know what key roles the amp plays along with the junction box and the multiplexer play, this bike has it all cb, radio, intercom system. I just don't know what I am missing. I even tried another volume control unit, bypassing the factory nav unit that sits on the tank cover.Kinda has me stumped at the moment. Also made sure the mute button wasn't on, the cb powers up and can change channels, you can hear a click in the multiplexer unit when you turn the cb on, and you can see the TX symbol when pushing the tx button down, speakers are good tested those, I just have no sound what so ever. It is probably something simple and I am just overlooking it. Any ideas?
#3 08-14-2016, 10:14 AM,
(08-14-2016, 10:14 AM)jwebfournow Wrote:
(08-13-2016, 03:37 PM)SIR tricky Wrote: What were the connectors for? what type of radio is in there, is it not the stock radio... just curious

All the wires are for the factory radio connector harness slide in unit, why they were all cut and reconnected with butt connectors I have no idea why maybe they replaced the radio junction connection, the radio is the factory Panasonic RM1400A model, everything in the left pocket are the factory pieces including the amp. Personally I like to keep everything all stock that is why I am trying to get the radio up and running, I could just install another radio and do all fresh wiring and be done with it. My replacement harness came in yesterday so I went out and connected everything together this morning without actually installing the parts back into the fairing yet, and still no speaker sounds not even a crackle, I have been trying to follow the manual for all the connections with the din cords but nothing, I have switched radio with another that does work fine, before the replacement harness I even switched out the amp from another bike, but took it out and put it back in the other bike, but I haven't changed amp from the other bike to try yet since getting the new harness, I would like to know what key roles the amp plays along with the junction box and the multiplexer play, this bike has it all cb, radio, intercom system. I just don't know what I am missing. I even tried another volume control unit, bypassing the factory nav unit that sits on the tank cover.Kinda has me stumped at the moment. Also made sure the mute button wasn't on, the cb powers up and can change channels, you can hear a click in the multiplexer unit when you turn the cb on, and you can see the TX symbol when pushing the tx button down, speakers are good tested those, I just have no sound what so ever. It is probably something simple and I am just overlooking it. Any ideas?
Update! Connected the radios blue labeled din directly to another auto volume controller unit I had on hand then the amp into that, ran speaker wire from amp directly to a speaker
and voila I have sound so the problems seems to be in the speaker wiring where the two speaker amp wires plug into and those wires disappear into the wiring loom in the left side fairing pouch, plus since the bike is an SEI it also has a the 4 speaker system I am still trying to find where the rear speakers go into the harness at, also I know the NAV system has the fader control in it.
#4 08-14-2016, 04:06 PM,
I have a PDF of the LTD electrical supplement if you need it, I can email it to you if you want. PM me your email (don't put it on the forum)

it is 1750KB

I think the rear wiring goes through a 9 pin white plug at the front of the fairing and then a 24 pin on the side of the fairing

The right rear wires are Brown/Red. and Green with Red ID tube

The Left rear wires are Br/BLK. and green with Black ID tube
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 08-14-2016, 05:12 PM,