Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fork Cap Removal
Taking a break before I break something...I need some assistance with the removal of the fork caps. They seem to be torqued down pretty good. Is it normal to be so difficult to remove. I've got a 24mm 1/2" deep socket on the end of a 10" extension and am using a breaker bar attached to the extension. I've tried using my muscle strength to break it, even been hammering on the end of the breaker bar, but with no luck. Anything that I'm missing? Or any tricks to make this a little smoother? I think I understand now why some folks drill and tap the caps to aid in the change of the fork oil. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this type of grunt work!!! Confusedhock: Thanks.

Cheers,
FTO
Forever The Optimist
1986 Blue/Blue Aspencade
Little Elm, Tx
"Go Lobo's"
#1 09-28-2007, 09:08 AM,
If the forks are still in the triple trees place a pipe on the breaker bar and gently apply some torque counter clockwise, it will loosen. Use a longer pipe and a helper to hold the bike if necessary, but be gentle and careful.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 09-28-2007, 09:17 AM,
Thanks Vic. Now I just need to find a helper. Are they normally this much trouble to get off?

Cheers,
FTO
Forever The Optimist
1986 Blue/Blue Aspencade
Little Elm, Tx
"Go Lobo's"
#3 09-28-2007, 09:48 AM,
Don't forget to place a jack under the engine when you take off the caps.

An Impact gun to loosen them should work.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 09-28-2007, 09:59 AM,
Thanks Tricky,

At this rate, I'll acquire enough tools to open up my own shop! Confusedhock: Thanks for your input. I already had the jack under the bike, ready to go. I just can't get the right positioning, using Vic's, pipe method, to get it to work. Trying to hold the handlebars, to keep them from swinging, and then adding the force, at the corect angle, to the wrench is just to much for one guy. The impact driver would certainly solve the problem. If I can't get them to budge over the weekend, I think I'm gonna load it up and take it to one of our local dealers that still works on the classic Wings. They're a great bunch and reasonable. One of their service writers rides a 1200 and can supply parts & expertise, if needed. Y'all have a good weekend. Thanks again.

Cheers,
FTO
Forever The Optimist
1986 Blue/Blue Aspencade
Little Elm, Tx
"Go Lobo's"
#5 09-28-2007, 12:25 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused on fork removal for new springs & leaking seal joed8562 21 1,758 05-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky