Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about front brakes
the front left brake is supposed to block the wheel if i push the lever rly hard? or this brake wont ever be that strong?.
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#1 10-18-2007, 02:03 PM,
Let me first try to translate to see if I have your request understood.

Is the front brake lever supposed to lock the wheel when the lever is pulled very hard.

Ideally no, but in actual fact it will under certain conditions. Poor tread, incorrect inflation, weather conditions, etc. This is supposed to be addressed with the ABS (anti lock braking) system on later Goldwings (not the poor tread or inflation of course) Smile.

If under the above conditions your wheel doesn't lock then, A your very lucky or B your stopping distance may be being compromised because of poor braking ability.

The rubber brake lines could be getting passed their useful life and beginning to flex under load preventing the lever from exerting enough pressure on the caliper.

Brake pads may be in poor condition also the rotors, maybe the fluid may need changing or the brakes bled.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 10-18-2007, 03:49 PM,
not even riding.. i pull the lever rly hard... and jump foward and the bike actually moves.. its hard but i guess the bike shouldn't move. checked the pads, they are ok, the lines dont seem to be leaking i cleaned everything with water and soap i just refilled and bleed the system.. should i actually flush the lines and refill? after cleaning the pads, caliper and refilling/bleeding it is working way better than before and the ugly and scary noise went away.. but not actually stoping the bike, as i said if i pull the lever and push the bike it moves. hard but it moves Confusedhock:

btw: my bike is a 84 interstate with no abs :lol:
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#3 10-18-2007, 10:04 PM,
Is the front brake lever pulling back far enough to touch the handlebars.

There is no way that you should be able to move the bike manually with the front brake applied.

It's one thing the locking the brake when riding there's 90+ horse power pushing the bike, but another being able to actually push the bike while applying the brake.

If the lever is coming back far enough to touch the handlebars then one of three things is happening.
A. there is still air in the system.
B. the master cylinder is leaking internally

The third could be the brake lever bushing is worn. (not likely)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 10-19-2007, 05:11 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug trouble with bleeding front brakes, no pressure? steelhorseangel 13 1,611 07-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Last Post: steelhorseangel
  Front Brakes BigDaddy12t 7 587 05-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Last Post: wingandaprayer
  Front brakes stuck dumped me in the intersection. 12 746 06-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Ed Z
  Front hand brake question 85GL1200I 12 929 11-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Ziggy